Translate

Monday, September 24, 2012

I am Don Ford and I approve this message

            After my last message there were several questions about my newly coined phrase, “Master Lawnologist”.

 

     I was asked to explain or define The Phrase, so here we go.

                              Master Lawnologist
  • Master; a term denoting some kind of rank or status, or a person with the ability or power to use, control , someone who is smart. 
  • Lawn; an area of aesthetic and recreational land planted with grasses or other durable plants.
  • Ology; name for fields of study.
  • Ologist; The person that has studied a subject.
    If you need more information than that check you dictionary.  What? You don’t have a dictionary but you remember having one before there were computers. What is this world coming to?
 
    On a different subject, I decided to get a better flag pole. The flag pole we have now is attached to a post on the front porch. Not a bad situation but I felt we needed an upgrade.
    Harbor Freight was supposed to have a 16 foot aluminum pole at a reduced price but when I arrive they only had a 20 foot pole at a higher price. This was not unexpected but I was hopeful that they would have the less expensive pole.
    Although I am on a fixed income and we will likely not have food for a few days, I purchased the flag pole. 
    After some discussion with my wife of 43 years we decided on a location for the new post. This time it was actually a discussion and we agreed on the spot.
    I fully expected her to tell me where to stick it.
    In the photo below you will see I have labored at digging a hole about 16 inches deep. It is more round than it appears in the photo, the grass is hanging over the edge of the hole. The plastic tube will be securely placed in the center of the excavation and needs to be close to perfectly level vertically in order to keep the 20 foot pole from leaning. The hole would then be filled with cement.
If the pole leans a little, I hope it is to the right (political statement).
    I purchased a 50 pound bag of cement but should have gotten two 50 pound bags. As you can see below, the 50 pound bag did not fill the excavation.
    I had to purchase an additional bag of cement to finish filling the crater.
Below, the additional cement is in the hole and we are just waiting on it to dry. I have the grass I removed from the hole and hope to replace it. That is why the cement does not come to the top of the hole. The plastic tube has a cover to keep things out.
 
    The cement has dried and I placed some dirt and grass over the cement. I placed the aluminum pole into the plastic tube, hung both flags and extend each section of the pole to its full height of 20 feet.
     Below is the newly completed flag pole for ‘The Ford Homestead Foundation of Hewitt, TX”.
    I am sure you see my confidant and constant companion (Tejas) lying inside the fence, keeping an eye on everything.
 
From the right leaning, patriotic mind of Don Ford
 
All rights reserved; any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited.
 
 
                                                                                                                 
                  
 

No comments: