Translate

Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Near Miss

            It was a nice morning at, “The Fords of Hewitt Homestead”, when out of nowhere a missile flew past my head at an astonishing speed.

               No, my wife of 43 years was not throwing things at my head, again.
               Speaking of throwing things, Alex had an octagon shaped piece of hard Styrofoam. Before you ask what octagon shaped is, it was shaped like a stop sign.  Alex was tossing it around on the driveway and there were several near misses to my head. 
Have you noticed how simple things will keep a child occupied? Alex played with that Styrofoam, non-stop for about 30 minutes. Toys you buy at the store are nice but not nearly as much fun as a stick or other scrap items.
               Last week we received rain here in Hewitt of 2.5 inches. Now we have had several days of nice weather with temps in the mid-80s.  Put the two together and our grass has begun to grow again.
               As you probably know I am a, “Master Lawnologist”.  Before you ask, I did not make up that expression, I did however, “coin the phrase(That makes it politically correct and more official.)
               “What”, you want the phrase defined? Ok, it describes a person who is a master at mowing and other general yard work. A person that is often creative in their work. This person doesn’t mind getting his/her hands dirty when creating a, “wonderful vision of serene loveliness for the neighbors to admire and desire.”  The neighbors will often comment, “The Master Lawnologist is too pretentious”.  Neighbors are at time jealous.
               Back to my original thought, I was standing on my front lawn reviewing my latest endeavor into lawn sculpturing (see photo below) when the doves all took flight and I knew there had to be a Hawk in the area. I was surprised when the neighborhood Red Tail Hawk flew past me at eye level. Yes he was flying about 5 feet above the ground as he passed me remarkably fast. I was thrilled and surprised to see this bird fly so close to me.
You may also notice that there is a political endorsement in my recently manicured lawn.
 
 
               After the brief excitement it was back to my duties. When I was employed it was often said that I was a slave driver expected everyone to do their fair share and I did like to see a clean work place.
               In retirement I still have the same values. My staffing is somewhat different but they still get the job done.  No I am not a slave driver and there are no laws being broken in regard to the age of the worker. All staff at, “The Fords of Hewitt Homestead” are well rewarded for their labor.
 
From the “Master Lawnologist” mind of Don Ford
 
All rights reserved including the recently coined phrase “Master Lawnologist”; any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited.
 
 
                                                                                                                  
                  
 

No comments: