Translate

Friday, September 28, 2012

Pleasure Shared by my Wife and I

            This pleasure was thought to be a forbidden pleasure, which would never come to fruition for Mr. and Mrs. Ford.

               I had all but given up on thinking I would ever enjoy this seemingly forbidden fruit. Literally years have passed without any satisfaction. Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to be unsatisfied year after year? 
 
I had told my wife of 43 years that this is the last year, I will no longer put up with this disappointment. If she doesn’t “put out” this year she will be gone by next year.
She isn’t even good looking; it is bent and often sticky or leaking. No one should be expected to put up with that for any time. 
 
In the photo below if you look close you may see one pecan that is coming out of its green skin. It is the first pecan to mature this year from our tree. I picked this pecan and wondered if it was empty as all the other pecans we have gotten from this tree have been.
Finding this one pecan that is matured I decided to check the rest of the tree to see if there were any others nearing maturity. I counted 973 pecans on this tree but they have not yet matured.
               I hesitated to crack the pecan thinking of the disappointment of past years. I had decided to cut this tree down if I did not get at least one good pecan off the tree this year.
               I did it; the pecan was cracked, there were two halves of the pecan which looked as if they were going to taste good. You can see in the photo below the two halves and the shell.
I put one half of the pecan in my mouth and began to chew. It wasn’t bad, actually it was good! I took the second half to my wife of 43 years and asked for her opinion. She did not hesitate, the pecan went into her mouth and she began to chew. There was about 5 seconds of chewing before the smile came on her face. Our tree has produced one good pecan.
 
               There is another part to this story; there have been very few squirrels in the neighborhood this year. The squirrels eat or ruin almost all the pecans on our small tree.
I don’t know why they are not here (may be someone is harvesting the squirrels) but we are glad that they are gone.
 
               Now our goal is to get enough pecans from this tree to make a pecan pie.
 
From the Fruitful mind of               Don Ford
 
All rights reserved; any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited.
 
                                                                                                                  
                  
 

1 comment:

Mary said...

I'm so happy for you!