Translate

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Disappointed

            Old things like some old people just stop working.
 
As I was doing an inventory of my garage (inventory in this instance is defined as looking in the stuff on the back of the shelf just to see what was there) I found my amateur TV transceiver.  It hasn’t been used for at least 10 years and probably more.
I thought I might to try to put the A-TV equipment back together and see if I could still transmit a signal.  I quickly learned that I did not have a power cord for the Transmitter. I didn’t lose it (I never misplace anything) I am sure it was stolen.
I also found the video camera that I used for A-TV.  I was pleasantly surprised that it still works. This camera records on 8 millimeter tapes and there were about 5 in the case. I took some time and watch a couple tapes. There was some vacation in West Virginia from many years ago. I also found some video of an event at HWI (not Do it Best, it was HWI in those days).  I hope to be able to transfer some of the video to a DVD. 
Yesterday I went to the local Radio Shack where a Wayne works (Wayne and I are friends, he rides a Gold Wing) and purchased the needed connector for the A-TV transmitter. Wayne explained that the connecter that I will be using for a power cord is really a connector for a microphone.
I spent $5.00 on this small connector which I had been saving for a new brand of canned cat food.  There are some real nice sounding recipes on the internet that uses the new cat food. As you know I am on a fixed income and must find ways to save money.
I returned home and started working on the power cord for the A-TV.  I needed to take two wires and solder them into the connector. There are 4 positions the wires can be soldered into to so I made a diagram of the proper position for the wires.
It took about 30 minutes to finish the connector and then I noticed I had made an error. I know it is hard to believe but I did make an error. 
I had to unsolder the connections and then solder them on the correct posts and reassemble the power cord. That took the better part of an hour as I was then gun shy (did not want to make another error).
Having the completed power cord I took the transmitter and cord to a 12 volt power supply and plugged it in. I was unpleasantly surprised when it did not work. I then removed the top cover from the A-TV transmitter and checked the fuse. It was blown so I replaced it. The new fuse blew as soon as I put it in the unit. There is a dead short somewhere. I am not that much of a technician so disappointed, I stopped trying to find the cause of the short.
$5.00 wasted on a project that disappointed a retired person.
Donations are accepted at, “The Ford Homestead Foundation”.
 
From the very disappointed mind of           Don Ford
 
All rights reserved; any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited.
 
 
                                                                                                                 
                  
 

No comments: