Translate

Friday, September 28, 2012

Juden School

            Yesterday I was reviewing the Southeast Missourian newspaper on line. There was an article about Sprigg Street expansion and people wanting to get a petition to stop the expansion.

               That subject caught my eye, as we use to live in the country where Sprigg Street and Cape Rock drive made a Y in the road.
 
               I have probably talked about this I the past but since it is my blog I will discuss it again. That is the only place I have ever heard a Whippoorwill call.  The house not only was in the Y of two roads it was in a valley and there were woods on all sides.  In the evening I would hear the Whippoorwill call from way back in the woods.
 
               Yes I am on a memory trip right now; we have just boarded “the memory train”. Bear with me as I remember things as they were in 1957/1958. 
Just shut up if you were not alive back then, “read and ye may learn”
 
               I know that the old Sprigg Street road has been changed and is not like it was so I went to a satellite view and tried to find things I remember from the past. A lot has changed in 50 years. I found a pound that was located in a bird sanctuary. We use to go swimming there as kids.
 
               I found the two room school that I attended in the 5th and 6th grade (photo below). Click on the photo to get a larger view.
Even the old Juden School has changed. There is some type addition on the front of the building that was not there when I went to school there. To the left of the building where trees are now, was a baseball diamond. The trees to the right were not there either, there was a small playground. There was a fence in front of the school to keep the kids off the road. There was a swing and sliding board in front of the school. About 50 feet behind the school there was two outhouses Boys and Girls. There was running water in the school for drinking but no indoor toilets.
 
               For those of you that have read this article, we are now getting off “the memory train” and coming back to reality.
 
               I have noticed that memories seem to be better than reality.
 
From the ageless mind of              Don Ford
 
All rights reserved; any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited.
 
 
 

No comments: