Translate

Monday, August 7, 2017

Marshal or Bounty hunter 08.07.17

                It was 8:02 on a Friday morning, I was working the early morning shift alone, and our grounds manager was again, on vacation! It had rained 1.5 inches earlier this week, which caused the lawn to begin to grow. We needed the rain and now that we have received it, I am left alone to work the homestead grounds.

                I had made a couple passes through the front yard, attempting to find the correct height for the Ford’s walk behind lawnmower. My present spouse was standing near the curb observing the grandson as he walked the Ford’s crazy German puppy down the street. We are almost at the point of paying someone to take this animal! Yes the grandee’s are allowed to go to the end of the street and they are allowed to occasionally throw rocks into the drainage ditch, if there is any water in the ditch.

                On top of all this, a neighbor pulled up in his pickup and stopped to talk for a few moments. That is when it all started. A black, four door pickup, came down the street driving very slowly. The windows were tented so dark that we could not see the person or persons inside the vehicle. I noted as the vehicle passed, that truck would look like a cop’s vehicle if it didn’t have those mag wheels.

                Most of the time the police have what they consider as plain cars. These are used in surveillance situations and all too often these vehicles stand out like a sore thumb, as they are usually black, the windows are darkened so one cannot see the operator, (which by the way is illegal for you or I but the police are exempt from those rules) and those vehicles usually have the cheapest wheels available.

                The black four door pickup went to the end of the street and at the cul-de-sac it turned around and stopped. This got our attention as the grand son and puppy were walking back up the street. After a minute or so the vehicle drove back up the street passing us.

                We finished the conversation with the neighbor, he left for home, my first wife and the grandson went back into the house, I was once again alone. I looked up the street and the black pickup was parked about half a block away, facing our direction. I stood there, at the curb, looking at the truck. I had decided to get a photo if he comes back by and I was considering calling the police since this vehicle was unknown to me, and I believe there may be a bad person inside.

                The truck began to move slowly down the street. As it came closer, it began to come to my side of the street, I knew we were going to have an interaction. I could not have imagined what was going to transpire in this interaction. As the black vehicle came to a stop the window on the driver’s side rolled down. I immediately observed the badge, there was a spit cup on the console, I knew he dipped. I stated, I thought this was a cop car. He showed me his badge, but I was unable to see what department he was with if he was with a department.

                He said we are looking for this person and showed me a photo of a man. He asked if he lived down the street. I said it could be the fellow that lives down there but I have only seen him drive by and have never met him. He asked if he drives a white Ford pickup, to which I answered yes. He asked which house this man lived in, saying I thought it was that house, pointing down and across the street. I explained that the house he was looking at was a retired constable, next to it was a retired police officer. I then explained he lives in the next to the last house on the right. He said, this man is wanted by the US Marshals Office for child molestation.

                I suggested he talk with Larry who lives next door to that house, he should be able to tell you more. The officer rolled the window up and drove down the street.

                After he left I began to mow the yard again and I started thinking, was this fellow a US Marshal or was he one of those bounty hunters? I did not get a clear view of the badge he had on.

                The truck left Larry’s house and drove up the street and parked again. In a few minutes Larry walked up to my house and explained that the person was indeed a, deputy U.S. Marshal. He said they were looking for the guy who has been living in our neighborhood for a while now. Evidently he was wanted for two child molestations.

                Larry returned to his home and as I mowed there was several vehicles drive up and down our street, all of which appeared to be undercover police vehicles. I assumed we were going to see some action at some point today.

                I shared this information with a couple neighbors, one said he would get a lawn chair and watch the events as they unfold.

                My first wife left the house and a minute later she called me, saying there were a bunch of police cars on Texas Street, evidently waiting on the suspect.

                                The word I must use to describe this entire situation is, “Anti-climactic”! As your reporter, I must say this entire situation (apprehension of the fugitive) ended for those of us on Oklahoma Ave. as an Anti-climactic event. 

                We did not see any action on our street as they stopped him one block away and arrested him. I am glad they got him and I guess I am glad it was not on our street.

                It pays to keep an eye on your kids and know where they are and who they are with.      

                                                                                                               

Bad people exist, be aware!

 

Don Ford

No comments: