Translate

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Sock-it to me 08.21.17

                The term sock it to me should be used sparingly and with caution. One might get it socked to them in a manner they are not expecting.
                There is a reason that I began to consider this terminology, and it has to do with my lovely wife of many years. My wife has a tendency to go shopping occasionally, and knowing this, I had requested that she might consider purchasing for me, some white socks. You know the kind, they cover your foot up to your ankle and you wear them with your walking shoes. I have several pair of old white socks and they have been worn out for a couple years but, being retired and on a fixed income, I have put off acquiring new socks until now.
                My first wife was nice enough to purchase me a package of these socks! On that same day my present wife also purchased me a package of the white socks. Yep, I now have two packages of white socks.
                I can see that one of you has a question, and I will, in an effort to avoid the tedious task of listening to that silly question, elaborate on this situation!
                My first wife, my present wife, and my spouse of 49 years, are all the same person. Question avoided.
                My lovely spouse purchased a package of socks at one store, and then found them on sale at another store, and decided to get another package!  Nice!
                As I sit here tired from the days boredom, yes I had a boring Friday, as the TV shows I like to watch in the afternoon were not on, and they had some other trash on. One can only stand so much, so called breaking news, and the constant running down of the president, so I tried to take several naps and that also became boring.
                I got to thinking about socks, and how much I am like a pair of socks, but before I enlighten you, I would like to show you a photo that I took from my front window. This photo was taken this week and I might say it could have something to do with the title, “Sock it to me”!

  
                The story as it was later related to me goes something like this. The fellow in the white vehicle did not have a front license plate, the first officer turned and followed him. Seeing the officer behind him, he made a turn onto a different street, failing to use a turn signal. The officer was still following him when he turned into the driveway of our neighbor. The officer followed him. The people who lived there came outside, the officer told them it wasn’t any of their business and to go back into the house, which they did.
                The second police vehicle arrived with two officers in it. With the driver out of his vehicle, two officers watched the driver as the third officer searched the vehicle. A third police vehicle arrived with the K9 unit. They had the dog go around the vehicle but no drugs were found. The police gave the driver a ticket for no license plate on the front of the vehicle.
                My grandson and a friend sat at the end of our side walk watching the event unfold. One of the officers gave the grandson and friend some stickers.
                You can’t say we don’t have excitement on Oklahoma Avenue.
                All of that cop stuff has nothing to do with my title story! My story is about me and socks. Would you believe, as I held those new socks in my hand, there was a tear of joy in my eye. It has been so long since we could afford new socks, and now I have two new packages. They felt so good, soft, and they don’t smell like dirty feet. I thought I should get a shower and then try on one pair of the socks. I bet they would feel good if I left them on all night, you know, kind of break them in easy!
                Until now I had not considered how a pair of socks could be so much like me! Think about it, a pair of socks are truly like me. No not because they are clean, smell and feel good, and not because they are white. These socks are, “Neither left nor right”. I am not always right, but I am never left!
                I have finished with this story, so I will leave you for now!
Be neither left nor right, just like a pair of socks!
Don Ford

Full disclosure; I got the idea, “socks are neither left or right”, from something on TV.

No comments: