Translate

Monday, February 6, 2017

Me complain, never 02.06.17

                Everyone who knows me, understands that I never complain. I do however, occasionally present my view point on a situation, which is not complaining, it is simply stating my opinions. 
                Recently I went to a car dealership in Waco to get a free oil change for the Ford’s Chevy. I pulled into the service area and got out of my vehicle. In the past someone would come out and greet me, the customer, wanting to determine what type service I needed. On this day no one came out.
                I proceeded into the building where most employees were looking at their computer screens. I stood there for a short time and then one employee ask how I was doing, to which I responded, “Without”. I must have not been clear as this employee again asked, “How are you doing”? I again replied, “Without”.
                This employee seemed to have his thoughts somewhere other than with me as he ask what can we do for you. I noted that I had a free oil change coming. He took my information and key to the truck.
                This service area has glass walls to most rooms and office areas. As I stood there I looked around. I was aware of what seemed to be a boring, non-enthusiastic appearance. I felt as if the place was uninviting, kinda like what I think a sterile room would be. It appeared to me that no one was interested in anything other than their computer screens. This feeling was a real downer. No one seemed to be happy, I did not see a smile on anyone’s face. There were a few customers sitting in various areas all of which also seemed to be unhappy, about half of them were looking at their cell phones.
                There appeared to be two manager’s offices and both manager seemed to be only interested in their computer screens. The colors in this entire area was white ceilings, stainless steel or aluminum frames for the glass walls, and gray tile in the floor. There was no background music, and the area designated for customers to wait, smell like body odor and someone who was a smoker and didn’t take regular baths.
                After walking around the entire area a few times I returned to the fellow who had taken my information and I asked, “Why does everyone seem to be so down? Are they tired because it is Friday afternoon?” He looked around and said he hadn’t noticed. Evidently none of the employees including the managers had noticed. I must say this employee was now friendly and smiling as we talked. 
                I found a seat at one end of the building where I could see most of what was going on. I sat down and observed. There were some female staff who worked in an office area that had walls with windows. These female employees were talking and laughing, seemingly enjoying their time at work.
                From my viewing area, I could see this one manager’s entire office. There was a rather large fellow who walked in and sat down. It was about a minute or two when he became comfortable in his chair and was leaning back against the wall. He sat there not saying anything, just relaxing against the wall. That is a real nice image to present to other employees and customers. 
                I had been there over and hour waiting to get the oil changed when I saw my truck pull up in front of the doors, ready for me to leave what I considered to be a, “Depressing place”. The driver took my key to an employee at the desk.
                I got up from my chair and put my jacket on. I stood there waiting, as I knew they would bring my key to one of the female employees where I would get my paper work and then be allowed to exit the premises. I stood there for several minutes watching this fellow who had my key, talk to someone.
                I must say during this visit I decided that if they would hire me as a consulting manager for a few weeks I believe I could help this place seem and be more upbeat and positive. The first week I would watch everything and make notes. At the end of the first week I would get all employees attention. When I had everyone’s attention things would liven up.
                As I said, “The above is just my opinion”.

Be happy and positive in your work,
it will be a blessing to someone!

Don Ford

               

No comments: