Translate

Thursday, February 23, 2017

02.23.17 Mowed down

                This morning was unlike any other of recent history. The sky was gray with winter like clouds swirling violently, the frigid winds caused a horrible chill to go through my body. My entire body was shivering and my teeth were chattering as the ice pellets fell all around me.  I tried to work my almost frozen body, back to the Homestead...
                Now that I think of it, it may have been somewhat different. I had, a few days earlier, sprayed weed killer on the weeds that were abundant in the shady parts of the back 40. Since a few days had passed I thought I would attempt to start one of my two weed trimmers. I knew the one I like to use, was leaking gas, so I would not be able to use it. The other is a dual use unit, which may be used as a pole saw, or a weed trimer.
                I started with the dual use unit, but it would not start. I cleaned the spark plug, heated the plug, put new gas in the unit, and I made my arm sore trying to start the unit! Where is the Grounds Manager when you need him?
                Giving up, I went to the other unit and tried to find the leak. It would start but only run a couple seconds and then stop. I could not stop the leak.
                Discouraged and tired I was ready to give up. Being on a fixed income I knew our budget would be blown to heck if I was forced to purchase another weed trimmer. I did not want to see my present spouse putting in extra hours on the side of the highways picking up aluminum cans. Have you looked at the road sides lately? Too many people have stopped littering, that said, there are not as many aluminum cans to be found.  
                I tried one more time with the dual purpose unit and it sprang to life. I attached the grass trimmer and began knocking down those weeds that had been previously sprayed. As I worked I decided to trim along the fence and around all the structures in the yard. It now takes longer to trim the back 40, than it does to mow the back 40.
                I stopped working, swept the grass off me, so I would not litter the Fords Chevy, when I went to go get the grandees from school.
                Returning home I climbed aboard the Fords riding mower and mowed the back 40. It looks somewhat better but not perfect as the good grass hasn’t started growing. There are leaves that I should have picked up but are now just chopped up. The following photos show the enormity of the back 40. Click to enlarge.
 
 
                Before that one person asks, yes the fort is bullet proof and can be used as a defensive structure in the case of an invasion!
Donations in the amounts of $25 or more, for a new weed eater will be accepted at our web site!

Lawn mowers are more fun than, snow blowers!

Don Ford

No comments: