Translate

Thursday, March 12, 2020

How did it go? 03/12/2020

            If you read the posting from yesterday, you would have known that I and my first wife were going to the ole employer for a free lunch on Wednesday, and to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Distribution center which I was general manager of, for a bunch of years. I have a couple photos and a few notes. The first photo is of the break room prior to lunch. Why are all the napkins and table cloths black? Possibly the reason was in preparation for the virus that is coming. Click to enlarge (I am kidding about the virus).
                                               
            They were giving jackets with a logo on them to all employees, indicating 40th anniversary, it is also black. They did not have jackets for the retirees who were in attendance. They were told they only ordered jackets for the employees. Not a positive point for the retirees. Are the black jackets also preparation for the coming virus? Click to enhance (kidding again).
                                               
            I was asked if I wanted to speak during the meeting. Originally I said no, let Tim (the VP) do the talking. Later I learned that Tim was not coming due to the company flight restrictions because of the virus. I then said I would have a couple short comments. I was not called on to speak. That is ok, I didn’t have anything earth shaking to talk about. I would have recognized those supervisors who were there during the opening, and that our team back in the olden days, seemed to be more like a family. We knew each other and their kids. 
            After the meeting and meal, the meal was very good, one of the employees came up to me and begin to tell me of concerns he has. I want to say, this person never voluntarily talked with me when I was manager. One thing he said, “We didn’t know what we had when you were here, now we wish we had you back”! I have heard this many times from various staff who I had hired in past years. This fellow coming to me, cause me to think, I hope both Corp. and local management are listening to staff and working on improvements.
            All in all, we enjoyed the meal and seeing those retiree friends who were in attendance!
            I returned home and changed the oil in the Ford’s ole riding mower and then I mowed the back yard. I need to change the oil in the Ford’s ole generator too.
            I went over to my Son’s house and fed the animals (cats, mice, lizard, fish, and Guinea pigs) yesterday afternoon. They all seemed to be happy to see a real person in the house. 

May your day be fill with kindness!

Senior kind person and animal care taker; Don Ford

Virus-free. www.avg.com

No comments: