Translate

Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Trust or reliable 02/11/2020

            I began to think about the title line wondering if trust and reliable were the same. My answer to that is, they can be the same, but do not have to be the same.

            You should have asked, why did this author begin to consider that statement, but you didn’t! Since you were not alert enough to ask the question, I think you need to go get a cup of coffee, and drink it, before you read any more of this soon to be well-thought-out article.

            Waiting!         Waiting!         Waiting!         Ok, you are back finally!

            A friend called me Sunday afternoon and said that they were out of town and going on a vacation. They requested that I keep an eye on their home while they were gone. I said it would not be a problem and they should have fun.

            Now I have kept an eye on several neighbors homes over the years, so when asked this time I began to consider, am I trusted or reliable. Depending on the neighbor I might just watch their house for any unexpected visitors. There are times when I check the doors to be sure they are locked, and I review all the windows to be sure there was no entry. I have also watered flowers as needed during the summer months. Heck I had a key to one neighbor’s house for several years, and on two occasions it came in handy when they needed to get in, and did not have their key.

            As I considered am I trusted or reliable it came to me, I could be both, but just because someone is reliable does not mean they are to be trusted. What if you have an employee who arrives at work on time every day, and she puts in a full day’s work. That makes her reliable but not necessarily trustworthy, as she may be removing items from her work area without permission. (For that one reader, that means she is both reliable, and a thief.)     

            I do remember stealing an item one time, and one time only. We were in the grocery store and mom and I were together. I reached up and grabbed a grape off the cooler shelf and ate it. I then got another and I told mom the grapes are good. Mom grabbed me by the arm and took me to one of the store employees and made me confess, I also got a spanking. That was the only time I stole anything. I might have been 5 years old.

            Obviously, just because one is trusted does not mean they are reliable. You can trust an employee with a million dollars, but that doesn’t mean she will come to work on time, or that she will not over stay her break.

            As for me I like to think I am trusted and reliable, but the real answer may be that either my present spouse or me, are usually home and usually have a good idea of what is happening in the community. Does that mean we are nosy? J      

            Different subject, it has rained and we are supposed to get more. I checked the rain gage and we had between ¼ and ½ inch. I would have said we had 3/8 inch of rain but I know, that one person has no mathematical skills. If I had said 3/8 inch of rain, I would have then had to explain, you divide an inch into eight pieces and then stack 3 of them on top each other and that is 3/8 inch. Then that one person would have asked, “How do you stack parts of rain”. I don’t know why I even try.

            Changing topics, I have been reading my story about the beginning of time, (I have gotten through 49 of 70 pages), in an effort to edit it. I have added a few commas, and removed or changed a few words. At one point I had written sea food, and in the next sentence it was see food. That is why we edit stories.

          I like sea food, but I would rather eat food, than see food!

          Yep, I know, that was a dumb statement!

 

Trust him or her until…!

 

 

Senior trusted, reliable and nosy neighbor, Don Ford

 

 

No comments: