Translate

Saturday, April 20, 2019

Mowing explained 04/20/2019

            It was a windy April day, which is not unusual, but today the wind seemed extra strong. I had planned to mow the yard after the grass had become dry, and I believed the wind would help dry the grass. As I sat inside the Ford’s Homestead enjoying a cup of real coffee, I began to hear what sounded like someone mowing. I ventured out of the homestead and the fellow who lives behind us was mowing. Then, to add insult on to injury, I heard others mowing. I turned to see both neighbors across the street mowing and they were working as teams, the male and female subjects working together. How can one retired senior citizen compete against teams?
            Why do they fill it is necessary to start before I have started? They should follow their leader, me.
            There was nothing I could do but start mowing the Ford Homestead’s yard. I retrieved the mower from the Ford’s ole shed and brought it to the front of the house. I began mowing in straight lines, going east to west and back. After mowing the entire yard, I then started mowing the yard again, this time going north to south and back, again in straight lines. My neighbors do not mow in straight lines and they only mow their yard one time.
            When I finished mowing the yard, I took a photo of my perfectly groomed yard. Click to be impressed at my abilities.  
                                   
            You don’t need to say anything, I know it is almost perfect!
            Would you believe, one of the female subjects from across the street came over and asked, “Why do you mow your yard twice, it seems to be extra work”!
            I said, “That is a good question”, to which she asked with a smile, “Do you have a good answer”? I thought for a moment, wanting to give this female subject an answer that she would not only understand, but agree with. I looked at her yard which she had just mowed, and said, “Your yard looks as if it was just mowed”. She looked at her yard and responded with, “I did just mow it”.
            I then looked at her hands and commented that her finger nails look very nice, “Did you have them manicured or did you do them yourself”? She smiled and said, “I had them manicured”, and she went on to tell me where and when. When she finished I said, “I cut my own fingernails” and showed her my hands. She had an odd look on her face, as she looked at my ole ugly hands.
            I them began to explain saying, “You mow your yard and I manicure mine! Since I mow in straight lines and do it twice, that is manicuring, kind of like your fingernails. Where you mow in odd directions and only cover the yard one time, that is mowing, kind of like my ugly fingernails”! Mow or manicure, look good or look great, it is your choice.
            She smiled, looked at my yard again, turned and walked home. Did I just lose a friend?

You can be good, or you can be great!

Senior lawn manicure artist; Don Ford

Virus-free. www.avg.com

No comments: