Translate

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Who 01.24.18

                Would you believe this is a true story?

                It was a cool night and after supper we sat in the den watching TV. After the two comedy programs had finished I slowly rose from my chair. I stretched a little as I thought, I am like an old dog when he gets up from a nap. Dog and cats will normally stretch as soon as they get up and then go about their business.

                Well, I guess I am like an old dog because I went about my business of getting a drink of water, then I checked all the doors to be sure they were locked. I said good night, to my wife, who mumbled something back to me, as I walked toward the bed room.

                I guess I have been a morning person for the most part of my life, and being a morning person I have a tendency to go to bed early. Even though I am in bed, I decide to watch a little TV. I set the timer on the TV to go off somewhere from one to two hours later. I watch some TV for a while and at some point I rolled over on my side and within a minute or so I was sleeping.

                I am one of those people who has odd ball dreams. By odd ball I mean, silly and not night mayors. Most of the time I wake up and think, I need to remember that dream, but most often the next morning I have forgotten the dream. I have wondered if my dreams are sparked by the TV shows that are still on while I am sleeping. Do I hear comments or words that enter my head while I am sleeping, I don’t know but I do dream often.

                My wife came to bed about midnight, and as usual, she causes me to wake up as she was moving the covers and getting into bed. I rolled oved and quickly went back to sleep.

                What was that sound? Had I heard an unusual sound or was I dreaming again? I lay there listening, and wondering if I had truly heard a sound, or was I dreaming. I looked at the clock and it was 2:15. I quietly rolled over and continued to listen. The sound was an odd sound as if something or someone had bumped the window in the front room. I listen quietly, trying to not move, almost not breathing.

                Bump, there it was again. Something had bumped against the front room window. What should I do? There have been several home invasions and if this is burglars, are they trying to open the front window? Will their next move be to kick in the front door?

                What do I do? I could get up and quietly walk from the bed room into the den. What do I do if there is someone on the front porch? The motion detecting light should be on if there is someone out there, if they haven’t unscrewed the light bulb.

                I made my move, slowly I got out of bed and quietly walk through the den toward the front room. I moved very slow and as quiet as I could, I thought, it would be nice to have a weapon in my hand, but I don’t!

                Half way through the den I could see the motion detecting light was on! There was something or someone out there. Do I call the police now, or do I try and get to the front door and look out the peep hole. If I can get to the door, I should be able to see who as out there!

                I thought, call the police and when they get here it will probably be the wind bumping something against the window. There, I heard it again! And I am only a few feet away from the window. The blinds are all closed so I can’t see anyone but the motion light is still on. How could the wind cause something to bump the window, it is not the wind!

                I am going to very quietly move to the front door and look through the peep hole.

 

 

 

 

To be continued!

 

Don Ford

No comments: