Translate

Monday, January 29, 2018

Hair what 01.29.18

                I went to the hair saloon salon this week, and the lady hair stylists asked, “How can I help you”? I responded with a big smile, “When you are finished cutting my hair, I want to look smarter, more hansom, younger and richer”! From the look on her face I could tell, she wanted to tell this senior citizen where to go, but being the professional she is, she said, “I’ll try”!

                The lady in the chair next to me, who appeared to be almost as aged as me, was trying to not laugh. I didn’t see anything funny about what I said! I just asked, for what I wanted!   J

            When I was through with the haircut, I looked into the mirror and I did look, “Dumber, less hansom, older and poorer”, just the opposite of what I wanted!  Would you believe, the vision in the mirror was so hurtful that I cried all the way home?     L  K  J  

                This traumatic event, caused me to think about the olden days. In the olden days, my mom would give me a dollar to get my hair cut. They never took me to the barber shop, I would walk there alone, with a whole dollar in my pocket. Haircuts for me as a youngster were usually, crew cuts or flat tops. Neither left a lot of hair to care for, and it was easy for mom to see if my head was dirty or not.

                I use to use a product known as hair oil. I don’t know if they make or advertise any product as hair oil now days. A few drops on your hands, and then rubbed onto your hair, you could comb your hair and it would stay where you put it, it was oiled down. This also worked well with hair that was too long, you could keep it oiled down against your head, (less frequent haircuts).

                I used hair oil anytime I was going anywhere, even as a teenager who was dating. Yes I did occasionally get lucky enough to have a date.

                Back in the 60s when the hippies all had long stringy hair, no one ever told me that it looked dumb to oil my hair down. One evening I had taken a bath (we didn’t have a shower, we were poor) and washed my hair. Now that I think of it, sitting in a tub of water washing all parts of your body with all that dirty water, did we ever get really clean? 

                I had forgotten to oil my hair down, before I went running around with the guys. As usual, we came in contact with some girls, and one of them said to me, I like your hair, it really looks good, and she actually touched my hair. Now no one had ever wanted to touch my oily head in the past. My dry, soft, and somewhat fluffy hair, started me on a new path of not using hair oil. 

 

Oil not, and you might be fluffy!

 

Don Ford

No comments: