Translate

Friday, July 4, 2014

Rescheduling 07.04.14

                For those of us that are on a, “Fixed Income”, (living from day to day, hoping that we will find a freshly killed squirrel or rabbit in the street that is not squashed so badly that we can’t have it for supper,) the purchasing of most anything can be a terrifying experience.
                My present spouse and I, grandkids in tow, went to the home center for the purpose of purchasing a refrigerator. 
Have you ever been in a large store with two grand kids? They do find all kinds of ways to entertain themselves. At one point there was a dancing contest between the two and I am not sure who won.
                Do you know they no longer refer to the fridge as an, “Ice Box”?  By the way, I learned that not only do they not refer to them as Ice Box, they no longer make Ice Boxes. For that one person that always tries to out think, “Me, the thinker”, yes, a cooler could be referred to as an Ice Box as the items in the cooler are cooled by ice.
                I am sure that you are not old enough to have ever seen the ice man deliver ice to a house for the “Ice Box”.  This may now become a teachable moment.
Back many years ago, when the earth was young and I was just a small children (yes I know I did not say child) refrigeration units in one’s home were very uncommon.  The Ice Box was in use and the ice man would deliver ice to a person’s home. The delivery man had a leather shoulder cover, which protected him somewhat from the block of ice he would carry. He used ice tongs to pick up the 30 pound block of the ice. He would carry the block of ice over his shoulder until he arrived at the Ice Box.  The block of ice would be placed in the top portion of the Ice Box and the coolness from the ice would keep the items in the Ice Box somewhat cool.
 
                Teachable moment over:
                My first wife found the refrigerator she wanted and we are now in debt for the rest of our natural lives. We tried to use the grandkids as collateral but the salesman politely refused. He was smarter than he looked. 
                Can you believe it, they will deliver the unit on Sunday.
 
What was my original thought for this posting? Ok, I remember, rescheduling.
                I was planning a driving trip to Missouri next week, to visit family. I have decided to reschedule the trip. If I were to wait until fall, I could ride the motorcycle and it might possibly be cool enough to enjoy the trip. I guess I could fly as I have enough miles to get the tickets free.
 
It is July 4th, have a safe holiday.
 
America, a great place to live!
 
Don Ford

No comments: