Translate

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Composition, 101 07.02.14

 
                I am hoping this will be a teachable moment for someone.
                As senior photographer at, “The Ford Homestead” I occasionally feel the need to share my knowledge with those less knowledgeable. If that is you, then pay attention.
                Composition of a photo and timing, is ultra-important when attempting to take that award winning photo, or at least a good photo.
                Compose the photo as you would a letter to your best friend.
What?
You want to know what a “letter” is. 
As my granddaughter says, “seriously?” You want to know what a letter is.
Hopeless; this younger generation is hopeless. I will continue as if I did not get that question.
To compose your photo, take a few minutes to look at the subject and area around the subject. Is there anything that doesn’t look right, such as a candy wrapper or other type trash in the photo? If so remove it.
Are there people, dog’s trash cans or anything else that you don’t want in the photo? If so move then out of the photo. I once saw some wedding photos of a bride and groom in which there was a garbage can to the left side in about half of the photos. 
Timing is another part of the equation, especially when the photos are taken outside. Early morning sun light will offer excellent lighting opportunities, and late evening may also provide some interesting lighting.
                The photo below is ok but not perfect.
 
I moved my recycle bin which was sitting on the street curb, out of the shot. But look down the street. They have left their trash can out. To improve this photo I should have moved their container or change my shot to not include their trash bin.
I could have stepped forward a step or two and removed most of the street and curd which would have concentrated your focus on the grass and house.
The drive way should have not been in the photo.             
Don’t get in a hurry when composing, unless you are losing the good light. If that is the case start taking as many photos of the subject as possible and hope you get the one you want.
The lighting is what I wanted. Some sun light on the front of the house, leaving most of the grass in a shadow.
                This concludes the free portion of, “Professor Ford’s Photo Training”. If you want the book it is $29.99 plus shipping and handling. The book comes with a DVD for those of you that prefer a video. Allow 6 years for shipping.
 
Thank You, I hope you have a photogenic (attractive) day.
Don Ford

No comments: