Translate

Sunday, July 20, 2014

New Roof installed 07.21.14

 
                One of the last things a retired person needs is to replace a roof without the aid of insurance.  Being on a fixed income we need every penny we can get and having an expenditure like a new roof could be a major setback.
                Speaking of needing every penny we can get, as I was mowing Saturday I found a penny on the neighbors drive way.  Since I was mowing a couple feet on their property, I decided to keep the penny as payment for the work I had done. Wow, I am worth a penny.
                One might ask why the roof needed to be replaced. It was damaged by wind and would no longer keep the rain out.
                It has been a long time since I did any roof work and to be honest I don’t like being on a ladder that much. It needed to be done and being on a fixed income I decided to do the work myself.
                My spouse of 45 years was in the yard pulling weeds from one of the flower beds when I began the work. Having someone around when I am on a ladder is a good idea because senior citizens have a tendency to fall and get hurt.
                We had nine tenths of an inch of rain on Wednesday and two tenths on Thursday but the ground is still cracked. We have been watering the flowers in the flower pots daily and those in the ground every other day.
                Our poor little garden has just about given up except for the peppers. I guess pepper plants are hardy and probably do well in the hotter weather.
                I digress, back to my original thought of roof repair. You might think my son would offer to help but, no, I approached the project alone. I guess that is the thanks we get for having kids.
                First I had to remove the old and damaged roof which meant I was climbing that darn ladder.     The removal went well and was actually fairly easy except for the ladder climbing.
                Replacement was not too difficult, but working in the sun was definitely hot. I try to say hydrated anytime I am working out in the heat.
The new roof is a different color from the original. The first roof was brown but the new roof is blue. I got the new roof free at the harbor freight store, but if I had been purchasing the roof I would have went back with the brown color. See photo below.
I hope the kids like it. I had to get on the upper level of the kids fort / tree house to install the roof.  It was my first time in the upper level and it is not easy for a senior, retired, fat person to do.
I hope your weekend has been excellent.
 
Don Ford
I was kidding about my son helping me with the roof. Either one would have helped, or did the work, if I would have asked.

No comments: