Translate

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Are you kidding? 07.12.14

 
                Are you kidding, may be an appropriate way to begin this article.
                For several weeks now I have been wanting to ride up to Glen Rose for lunch at a BBQ place that has a reputation for good food. I have eaten there in the past and I agree it was good food.
                This morning as I sat in my recliner considering my options for the day’s activities, I again considered a ride to Glen Rose. I could not think of any reason to, not do the ride.
                I went to the computer to look at some maps. I knew what roads I would take to Glen Rose but I wanted to find some equally interesting roads for the ride home. I considered a couple options and made notes for the return trip.
                I noticed a package in the desk drawer. Taking the package out almost destroyed my day. It was the laxatives and pills I must take tomorrow (Sunday) along with the instructions, in preparation for my colonoscopy on Monday. L
          Attempting to overlook the upcoming body invasion, I placed several bottles of cold water and one diet coke in a small cooler, then placed the cooler in the trunk of the motorcycle.
                For this trip, I took a second helmet, sun block, camera and a note reminding me to go by the bank to get my $5.00 weekly allowance (being on a fixed income makes life difficult if not almost impossible). I also needed gas before heading out.
                Before you ask, the second helmet was because my regular helmet has been uncomfortable after about an hour of riding.
My neighbor has the same type helmet and said he has found that placing a folded up handkerchief on top his head, then putting the helmet on, actually helped. I tried this and it did help.
                I left home about 10:00 am and my first photo was taken at 10:24 and I had ridden about 10 miles. Also I was running about 70 mph at the time of the photo. Before you make a comment, taking photos while riding a motorcycle is not distracting.
 
                As I was riding I noticed that there was not a cloud in the sky. I looked for a cloud several times during the ride and each time, no clouds were seen.
                The temp ranged from 82 to 93 during the approx. 4 hours of riding.       
                As I was approaching Glen Rose I remembered, we had ridden up here for lunch and the BBQ place was closed for a 2 week vacation. I began to think, was that trip around the 4th of July. I couldn’t remember. It was too late now, I was just a few blocks away from what I hoped would be a very nice lunch.
                As I rounded the corner I could see, there were no cars in the parking lot. No cars at noon, must not be open.  I rode up the street a ways and turned around and came back. Where will I have lunch?
                As I passed by the place again, I saw a few cars there, so I pulled in. The lights were on inside the building, they must be open. I pulled up near the front door and that is when I saw the sign, “closed private party”.
                I looked around and rode up and down a few streets looking for some place to eat. The places that were open were not appealing to me.
                I had ridden about 90 miles getting here, and now I decided to start back for home. I hoped to find a park with some shade trees and stop for a drink of water and stretch my legs a little.
                I probably rode 10 miles or more before I found a park. It was a nice park and it even had a wading pool for little kids. I was amazed that there was no one in the park except me. I took a few minutes for a break and re-hydrated myself, before continuing my trip back home.
I thought I would put a “75 mph selfie” of yours truly, for your enjoyment. 
                The road I was taking would go through Meridian, TX and then on to Clifton, TX where I will attempt to eat at the Bunk House, again.
I tried again to get photos of those pink wild flowers alongside the road but the photo is not very clear.
                When I came into Meridian, there is a stop sign, then I would turn right and continue on to Clifton.  At the stop sign I was super surprised by what I saw.  There was a red neck looking fellow, with a short gray beard, white T-shirt, a man purse over his shoulder and what I assumed were blue jean shorts. They were so short that I did a double take, they may have been a blue jean skirt. Whatever they were, they were too short. I started laughing out loud. I was glad he was about 20 feet away from me. Maybe he didn’t hear me laughing.
                “On the road again”, I was happy to be moving. I arrived at the Bunk House and they were open.
There was some red necks eating there, including me, but no one, not even the ladies had short blue jean shorts on. 
After lunch and a few glasses of ice tea, I was on the last leg of my trip.
Safely home I headed for the recliner and a short nap.
 
The End
 
I hope you find your trips fun and the restaurants open.
 
Don Ford           

No comments: