Translate

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Friends... 08/29/13

               As usual, those of us stationed here in, “The Ford Homestead Fortress” are doing well and we hope you are also.
The weather is still hot and dry which causes a retired person, on a fixed income, to need to decide whether he wants to “water the yard” or “have food to eat”. The truth is I could stand to lose a few pounds so I have decided to water the yard.
For those of you who have jobs and are able to spend money as you see fit you may not understand the necessity of deciding between food and taking care of the yard.
Let’s see if there is a bright side to watering the yard rather than eating. Obviously not eating could cause one to lose a few pounds but there is a lesser known activity that one can participate in, when watering.  You can take a shower in the yard at the same time that you are watering. I do however suggest that you wait until after dark to take the shower in the yard. Some neighbors are kind of nosey, when they see you nude in the sprinklers they may want to join you. I say let them use their own water.
If that same neighbor has a couple road killed squirrels or a possum that he/she wants to share, then you might consider letting them shower in your sprinklers.  
 
On a different subject;
Several weeks ago while enjoying my rocking chair on the driveway; I was approached by a couple young men wearing white shirts and ties carrying their bibles. They introduced themselves and we talked a while. I learned that they are Mormons and considered themselves as missionaries.
We talked for a while and they gave me a pamphlet to read. They also left one of their bibles and asked if I would read a certain passage. I said I would, they would drop by again next week.
When they came back the next week they had an older gentleman with them. I had read their pamphlet and the passage in their bible. They asked if I had any questions. I did and we discussed my questions. After some discussion I stated, “I doubt that I will be able to convert you and I know you will not convert me”.  I returned their bible and they left, none of us were upset.
They have dropped by a couple times since and we talk. They now have their bikes so getting around town is much easier. Yesterday when they rang the doorbell my wife said, “Your friends are here”.  I guess we have become friends in that we talk when they are in the neighborhood.
 
On a different subject;
School has started and we now have only Alex here as Gabi is in the first grade. With only one grandkid here it is less noisy, no fighting and somewhat lonely.
 
A different subject;
Today is Thursday, my least favorite day of the week. Why is it my least favorites day you ask; it is the day that my present wife cleans the house.
Cleaning the house is a good thing except when I need to use the boy’s room. It never fails she has just cleaned the boys room including mopping the floor, when I need to go. Obviously I am not allowed to walk on the freshly mopped floor until it has dried.
 
That is it from, “The Ford Homestead Fortress”;
I hope you have easy access to the rest rooms.
Don Ford
 
 
 

No comments: