Translate

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Prayers answered

               The weather people had indicated a high possibility for rain yesterday afternoon. About 3:30 it had not rained so I checked the weather radar. (I assume you noticed that radar is spelled the same forward and backwards. I wonder how many words are spelled the same both ways.) All the activity was south of us so I decided to take matters into my own hands and water the flower beds in the front yard.

I completed watering the two beds about 4:30 and went outside to assume my rightful position in my rocking chair near the garage door. It was hot as usual and I properly positioned a fan near the foot of my throne rocking chair directing the air toward my upper body and face.

As I sat on my rocking chair considering many world problems and remembering that I am now a year older (my 33rd birthday for the 33rd time), I could feel a slight change in the air temperature.   My initial thought was “I could be hallucinating”.

Tejas, my constant companion and trusted confidant, was at my side and he was verifying that the temp had dropped a little. Tejas does not like thunder and he had noted thunder was occurring in the distance.

There were repeated comments from Tejas about the thunder becoming more frequent and getting much closer. He gets a little nervous when thunder is in the area and he had come to me several times for reassurance. The back door opened and my first wife stepped outside to get something from the freezer. When my first wife went back into the house, Tejas my not so constant companion went inside with her.

Can you believe Tejas would abandon me and go inside due to a little thunder? Ok, there was a lot of thunder and shortly after he went into the house it began to rain.

Fearing that I might melt if I were to get wet, I also went inside. I did not stay inside because I wanted to observe and enjoy the rain. I went to the front porch and stood there watching nature re-watering all the plants I had watered earlier.

Later when the rain stopped, I checked the rain gage. We had received nine tenths of an inch of beautiful rain.

 

This morning as I enjoyed the somewhat cooler weather while sitting in my rocker, Tejas commented that the yard already looked better due to yesterday’s rain. He continued saying, “the grass has greened up overnight and it will need to be mowed soon”. He also noted, “The spots I normally lay in would be too tall for comfortable lounging in a day or so”.

I have noticed that some people and some dogs are never satisfied. One day it is too dry and the grass is not comfortable, the next day the grass is too tall and not comfortable.

 

 

Thanks to everyone who called and emailed me on my birthday.

Belated gifts may be sent to “The Ford Homestead Foundation of Hewitt, TX, birthday fund for the elderly Ford”. 

 

Have a nice cool day.

Don Ford

 

No comments: