Translate

Monday, August 26, 2013

Snakes.

               Good morning to you, I hope you had an enjoyable weekend. Mine was boring and the hot weather didn’t help. Mine was excellent with several fun adventures…

               First I would like to state that I am not now nor have I ever been a snake person. These reptiles are able to co-exist with me due to the fact that they stay hidden most of the time. Occasionally I will venture outside my home and stroll around the property with my trusted companion and confidant Tejas. During these outside adventures we have intermittently seem the elusive and rare “Rattle Head Copper Moccasin”. (Additional information about this snake can be found in the March 14, 2013 posting) 

This particular reptile is thought to be extinct everywhere except on the Ford Homestead in Hewitt, Texas. That makes this snake an “endangered species” which means if your government found out that they exist on The Ford Homestead, the government would likely take the Homestead away from us in an effort to protect this reptile.

We had thought about having the History Channel do a story about the snake but decided against it for two reasons. First, the Government would know of the snake and secondly people from all over the world would want to come and see the rare reptile. There is too much traffic on our street avenue now and if the world knew we would never have any piece and quite. 

Back to my original reason for bring this almost extinct reptile up; Last week Alex had one of these, “Rattle Head Copper Moccasin” in his hand. He brought it to show me and even though it was small (a baby possibly 3 inches long) I could tell it was a deadly viper. Gabi, being a big sister and wanting to see that her brother was safe, also handled the serpent.

After some discussion we convinced “The Alex” to put the snake back into the flower bed. No human was injured during this transaction and none of the almost extinct serpents were injured.

All is well at “The Ford Homestead of Hewitt, Texas”.

 

We hope you have a comfortable day without serpents.

 

Don Ford

 

 

 

No comments: