Translate

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

This day in History August 13th 2013

               Where do I start? Two days ago my wife of 44 years noticed water dripping from the refrigerator (aka Ice Box)
I am old enough to remember when men delivered ice to people’s homes. I do not actually remember the Ice Box but I do remember the delivery man would have a leather pad over their shoulder and a little way down their back. He would pick up the block of ice (ice was in blocks and not crushed in bags like today) with a set of ice tongs, lift the block of ice up to his shoulder laying it on the leather pad, which kept the cold and wet from his shoulder.
Back to yesterday;           when my present wife noticed the water dripping from the refrigerator I called for service. Having taken an extended warrantee on the unit I wanted them here quickly. I usually do not take extended warrantees but did this time. The lady at the warrantee company was friendly and scheduled a repairman for the morning of August 12th. The repairman called to let me know he was on his way and he explained that I would have to pay for his visit since I had no warrantee. I responded very pleasantly to him explaining that I did have a warrantee. He said that he can’t change the work order and I should call the warrantee company again.
I talked to a different person who explained that there was an error made by the first person I had spoken too and that they could not reschedule the work in the same day. She scheduled me for the morning of the next day August 13th.   She noted that I was very patient and she appreciated that since they had made the error. I said that things happen, and getting upset doesn’t help.
Mid-morning of the 13th the repairman arrived and diagnosed the problem within 30 seconds. He explained that the unit was frozen and it would need to defrost before he could work on it. He explained that we should unplug the unit, take everything out of the fridge and let it defrost. He would return later I the day (after 5:00pm) and repair the unit.
I went to the shed and retrieved our coolers. That was when I realized that we did not have many coolers and most were small coolers that could be carried to work. I remembered getting rid of several thinking they were just taking up room. Not having enough coolers to put our items from the Ice Box in (road kill), I called my neighbor, “the one that is inconsiderate”, and he loaned me two coolers. He is only inconsiderate when cutting the tees. J
We were able to remove all the items from the fridge and put them in coolers. I also placed a fan on the floor in front of the fridge. The fan blowing into the fridge helped the unit to thaw and also pushed cool air into the house for a while.
It was about 5:30 pm when the repairman again arrived. It took him about 20 minutes to make the repair. He noted that there was a design flaw and he was able to redirect a drain which should take care of the concern. He suggested that we allow the unit to cool for about an hour prior to replacing the items.
My wife had suggested that we could go to George’s, if we wanted something for supper. I was in agreement and headed to the shower. We arrive at the restaurant a little before 6:30 and had to park about a mile away and walk. We were told the wait would be about 20 minutes. The wait turned into about 35 minutes.
We noticed that the coach of Baylor’s lady basketball team arrived after us.  The owner or manager was very friendly with the coach standing what I thought was uncomfortably close to her during their conversation. It seemed to be that the lady coach was trying to lean away from him but being in a corner she could not go far. Needless to say she was seated about 20 minutes earlier than my wife and I. I guess if I made a couple million a year, I might get preferential treatment.
Finally seated we order drinks and food. It took what seemed an eternity for the drinks to arrive. They were busy which made the service slow. The food arrived and it taste good but my salad was warm which I do not like.
After eating, it took possibly 10 minutes to get the check. Maybe we looked as if we needed the rest.
Arriving back home we had to replace all the items into the fridge. I removed the items from the coolers and dried them off (ice in the coolers was melting and made the items wet) and handed them to my present wife as she placed them in the proper location.
This morning as I was sipping my cup of coffee, I thought of yesterday as being a rough day. Poor us and all we had to go through yesterday. I then thought, “If that is the worst thing that happens to us, we don’t have it too bad”.
 
I forgot to say that we also had the fellow from the company that leveled our foundation a couple years ago out yesterday to see if our foundation needs some warrantee work; it does
 
From the Fords, we hope you have a nice day!
Don Ford
 

No comments: