Translate

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Saturday ride 8-17-13

               The morning started as so many mornings do, Tejas came to the side of the bed at 5:00am and woke me up. He has a habit of waking me at this time every morning. Sometimes he is just letting me know that he is there for me and other times, (like this morning) he wants to go outside. When he goes out he checks the perimeter of the Ford Homestead for killers, thieves, cats and rabbits. Sometimes he waters the flowers.

               I return to bed as soon as Tejas finished his reconnaissance of the area. I actually rolled out of bed about 7:00am Saturday morning and put the coffee on. I made my usual bowl of cereal and headed for my easy chair. After eating the cereal and drinking my 3 cups of coffee I made a stunning observation, it was cool outside. By cool I mean the outside temp was about 64 degrees. That is a perfect temp for starting a motorcycle trip.

               Where would I go?  I wasn’t sure of a destination but I wanted to ride while it was cool. I put some bottled water in a small cooler with ice and secured it to the back seat of my bike. I thought I might ride down to San Antonio for lunch at a sea food restaurant but that is 3.5 hours if you ride on the interstate. I decided I would ride out to Lampasas, TX and if I still wanted to go the San Antonio I would head south from there avoiding the interstate altogether.

I had ridden as for as Gatesville, TX when I observed a dodge dealer. I decided to pull in and look at a white Durango they had.  It did not have the accessories we wanted so I checked out some other vehicles. There was a white Town and Country van on the show room floor that seemed to have everything we wanted in a new vehicle. I tried to call my wife of 44 years but the phone was busy. After several attempts at calling I decided to ride home and see if she would want to go to Gatesville to see the van.

40 minutes later I was home and my present wife was cleaning the front room. If I was to tell you the house was a mess I would not be exaggerating. My spouse was willing to stop what she was doing to go look at a new van and I also promised her lunch.

As she was changing her clothes I took a quick shower and jumped into some clean jeans and shirt. The phone rang and it was my son Dave. He and Claire had just purchased a new washer and dryer and wanted me to bring the pickup to the store to transport the washer and dryer to their home. I explained to my spouse that I would go help them get their purchase home and she could take her time getting ready.

The store employees were able to get both the washer and dryer in my pickup even though I have a cover on the bed. I delivered the units to their home, where we unloaded them and I went home.

My spouse was ready to go so we headed west.

Arriving at Gatesville we went directly to the Steak House for lunch. It was already 1:30 and we were famished. They have a nice salad bar and the baked potato was good but I have had better and less expensive shrimp.

We arrived at the dealer and reviewed the Town and Country van. It was a 2013 and nice but the one thing that we did not like was the leather seats. Those seats seemed to be very hard.  We decided to look at the dodge vans and found a 2014 with all the same options but it has cloth seats which were more comfortable. We are not driving any vehicles until we determine a couple that we are truly interested in. 

That is what my Saturday ride was like.

 

Have a super nice day.

Don Ford

 

No comments: