Translate

Sunday, September 1, 2013

September 1st, how do I know? 09/01/13

               In the olden day, and I do mean olden, when I was a little person, the first of September was a holiday (yes I know it is still a holiday) and it also meant school would be starting soon.

The fair would be coming to town about the second week of September. School was let out for half a day to attend the fair. We were usually taken to the fair, dropped off, yes basically turned loose.  If we were lucky we would have $1.50 to $2.00 to spend at the fair. That amount of money was for rides and food.

Now day’s school has already started when the September holiday arrives.  $2.00 wouldn’t get you a coke. I guess that is why retired people on a fixed income don’t go to fairs.

Sunday morning September the 1st, I was up before daylight. Occasionally I can find an old TV show (reruns from years ago) to watch as I indulge in my morning coffee. Mind you, I was in the house with the back door open as the sun began to rise. I was able to know the date due to the sound I heard outside.

Our house is about a mile from the city limit as the crow flies but the sounds were easily heard. To me, it sounded as if there was a war going on. Yep, it is dove season again and the hunters were out in force. There was times when I would hear 50 plus shots in a minute. I wish I had sold these hunters all the ammo they were shooting, I would be rich. 

On a totally different subject; I had walked out to the shed and Tejas was at my side. Upon returning from the shed Tejas stopped at a flower bed and was smelling the flowers. Possibly he was smelling the rabbit that jumped out the opposite side of the flower bed and startled me. The odd thing about that incident, Tejas never saw the rabbit.

Switching subjects again; I have a medical problem. Well it is more like a broken toe and if not broken it is sure is bruised and hurts. Now you know that I am always calm and cool, almost never getting upset or in a hurry. Saturday may have been an exception to that fact. I was attempting to repair my first wife’s sweeper. I was in the office area and I went in and out of the office to the garage to get tools several times. The door from the office to the garage doesn’t open very easily due to the house being unleveled.  (The foundation people are coming out on the 3rd and 4th to level the house. Half of the work is warrantee and the other half is new work.)

To open the door I was lightly kicking the bottom of the door as I turned the door knob. It is possible that I may have become upset about something and kicked the door too often or too hard. My big toe is now a bigger toe and it is blue. Ice has helped but it still hurts when I walk.

 

May all your doors open easily.

Don Ford

 

No comments: