Translate

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Inconsiderate

            Hello from “The Ford Homestead”, we are all doing well and hope you are also. The weather has been hot and dry so the forecast of possible rain over the next 3 days gives us cause to be hopeful.  A few days of rain would be the answer to many prayers.

            Each morning a little after 7:00am, my wife of 44 years and I venture out of the house to await the arrival of our grandchildren. We habitually sit in chairs just outside the garage door. I most often have a cup of coffee while my present wife has a cup of tea. For the last two mornings the sun has been in our eyes more than usual. Yes it is the time of day when the sun rises and we do somewhat face the east when sitting in our chairs on the drive way. 

            This morning I noticed in the yard of the house up the street there was old furniture and assorted junk. When my spouse came outside I jokingly said, “There is some furniture in the yard up the street and there may be something you need”.  The next thing I knew she was walking up the street to see what was in the yard. This activity was embarrassing to me, my first wife going through someone’s junk hoping to find something to bring home.

            Luckily she was unable to find anything that she needed. She returned home empty handed and somewhat discouraged. As she came into the driveway a trash truck pulled up to the house to pick up the junk. 

 

            I digress; I was going to comment on people who have no consideration for their retired neighbors who are living on a fixed income when I was side tracked bot the spouse and junk story. 

Our neighbor across the street has been in the process of trimming one of the two large trees in their front yard. The tree did need to be trimmed and I must say it does look better. The problem is our neighbor did not take into consideration that the sun would be shining directly in our eyes when we were sitting outside. I have spoken to them about our needs and as of now they have not offered any sanctuary from the harmful light of the sun. In addition, they are planning on making it even worse by trimming the second tree which will likely cause serious eye injuries to my spouse and I.

 

On a different subject; my spouse of 44 years and I have been looking at new vehicles and have found that retired people on a fixed income basically can’t afford to have a new SUV. We could possibly afford a small car with no options but my wife insists she needs a lot of room and she does not want to get down into a car and then back up and out of a car.

We have looked at several vehicles but have refused to drive any until we can narrow the list down to just a couple. I explained to one of the sales men that my first house with a full basement and an attached garage cost $27,000.00. I didn’t say that I thought $51,000.00 was a ridiculous amount to pay for a new Ford Expedition or a Buick Enclave, but it is.

We need to decide on which vehicles we want to consider (possibly afford) and then go drive them.

If you want to make a donation to “the new vehicle for the Ford Homestead” please do so by sending cash or checks to “The vehicle for the wife fund”, with a suggested minimum amount of $100.00 or more (donations are not tax deductible).

 

On a different subject, I am acquiring the needed supplies to add a top to the tree house/fort. It will be built using some PVC pipe and a tarp. Hopefully I can build and install said top without any injuries to me.

 

We hope you have a week filled with wonder and fun.

Take a couple naps; they do wonders for my attitude. 

 

Don Ford

No comments: