Translate

Friday, February 19, 2016

Supper 02.19.16

            Thursday night supper with a couple friends was enjoyable. I received an email asking if anyone wanted to go to a greasy spoon for supper, to which I answered yep.
            It had been very windy and warm all day, and I assumed, wrongly, that the wind would die down around sun set, the time we would ride to the greasy spoon. The wind continued to blow making the 30 minute ride less than fun.
            I arrived at the destination, found a parking space, and waited to see if anyone else was coming. A few minutes passed as I stood outside in the gusty wind, my allergies increasing due to the wind, as I waited for another biker to show up. It wasn’t long until Wayne arrived. I asked if anyone else was coming and he said Sam was supposed to be on his way.
            Sam was supposed to ride to Wayne’s house and the two of them ride together to the restaurant. Sam never arrived at Wayne’s house and after Wayne tried to call him but received no answer, Wayne started for the greasy spoon alone. Part way there, Wayne received a call from Sam. Wayne would have taken the call while continuing to ride the motorcycle, much like the drivers of cars due, but it would be difficult to hear the phone through the helmet. Wayne pulled over in a safe parking area and answered his phone.
Somehow they had gotten the times to meet wrong. Sam was forced to start the lonely ride to the spoon filled with grease, all by himself. Sam finally arrived at the restaurant and after proper greetings we went inside to partake in the food and lively conversation.
This was the first time I had seen Sam in probably 5 years. We enjoyed the food and catching up on what has been happening. I learned that Sam had recently retired and he seemed busier than when he worked. I very much enjoyed the fellowship.
The ride home however, was something else. It was dark, and it seemed to be even windier than the ride out. The ride home took me through a lot of country side, along a river, and around the lake. There were several signs warning drivers to watch for deer. There seemed to be a lot of traffic, and the head lights of the oncoming traffic made it difficult to see if there is anything like a dog or deer in the road in front of me.
I have known of bikers who have hit deer, and it wasn’t something that I wanted to experience.
As I rode across the twin bridges, actually I was only on one of the twin bridges, the other bridge was for traffic going the other direction, the wind seemed extremely strong, and it was pushing my motorcycle around.
I arrived home safely. All in all it was a nice evening with old good friends. 

Take time to enjoy your friends!  

Don Ford

No comments: