Translate

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Poor service? 02.25.16


            Poor service, No it wasn’t poor service, to consider it as poor service it would need to improve 200%. 
            It started out innocently enough, I asked my lovely spouse of 46 years what she had planned for supper. She replied, “Chili”. Although I like chili, I have seen several ads on TV of late, for Long John Silvers. I had not gone to a Long John Silvers in possibly 3 to 4 years.
            My memory of their fish was good so I offered to take my spouse there for fish, which means she would not need to cook. She agreed and we headed into town.
            We arrived and walked in, there was one couple standing at the cash register in front of us. The dining area was empty, possibly that should have been a sign that we ignored. It took a couple minutes for the couple to place their order.
The young lady taking the orders was friendly, I joked with her and she seemed to enjoy my antics. We placed the order and paid way more than the fish was worth.
            Proceeding to the drink fountain, my first wife and I got our drinks and proceeded to pick a table by the window. We then went to the condiment bar and got our catchup, cocktail sauce, and tartar sauce, then returned to the table.
After a few minutes my present spouse noted that they were slow. At this point in time I saw the slow service as kind of funny. After about 15 minutes both Donna and I was less than happy. I went up to the counter and asked for our food. The girl called out to the cooks and in a minute or so the food came out.
            I took the tray and started to the table when I noticed one of the plates was missing a piece of fish. I returned to the counter and the young lady asked if I was missing anything, I said fish. She looked at the plate and I asked if she would bring it to the table.
            As you well know, I never criticize unnecessarily, so any criticisms I make, are necessary. 
            My observations of 4 employees revealed a lack of training. From what I could see, they were not organized. I do not mean organized as in a union, I mean organized as in working as a team.
There is an old saying that seemed appropriate in this situation, “the right hand doesn’t know what the left is doing”. It did not seem to me that any of the employees were working toward the same goal.
They may have had an employee with the title of manager, but the title of manager doesn’t mean a person is a manager. If I were manager at that location they would need to shut down for a while, as I would have fired the entire group and started over. 
Any workplace is only as good as the people that work there.
On the drive home my present spouse and I enumerated the other food establishments that we could and should have visited, where we would have received better food, better prices, and real service. 
I truly wanted to make other comments about this worse than bad service but I decided to be kind and shut up!

May all your service be better than expected!

Don Ford 

No comments: