Translate

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Overpopulation good or bad 06.26.14

 
            I have been contemplating this subject for some time now, and have now formed an opinion.
            I know what some of you are thinking, here comes another opinion from, “The Ford” and it will probably be way out in left field.
            First off, what is wrong with being in left field?  There are many balls hit into left field and if no one was in left field the center fielder would be over worked.
            Also, you should reserve your criticism of the article, at least until after you have read it.
            All “facts” in the article are true.
 
Thank You; now I will get back to the subject at hand.
 
            Lately, I have been either walking or riding a bike each morning, in an effort to get some needed exercise. I have found that this early morning walk or ride is stimulating to the body and mind. As I walk through the neighborhood I observe many things, such as the house with the large window. The curtains are pulled almost together, but there is a space of about 3 inches which would allow someone to peer out at the passing public. Is it possible that these curtains will be quickly closed when someone looks in that direction?
            Is it also possible that someone is sitting there looking out, when they see a passerby look in their direction they quickly pull the curtains close. 
 
            This is a little off the subject but I have noticed that many people on TV mispronounce the word curtain. If you listen closely you may hear them say curin (no T sound).
Yes, I occasionally watch, “let’s make a deal” in the afternoon. It comes on at the same time that Alex takes his nap. It is also possible that I have taken a nap at the 2:00 hour.
 
            I digress; I have become aware of the overpopulation during my morning walks and I have pondered the hypothesis that overpopulation might be good, while having negative properties at the same time.
 
            Although this has nothing to do with the subject of overpopulation, I have noticed several rabbits in various yards during my morning constitutionals. It is becoming increasingly evident that today’s rabbits, living in a town like Hewitt, where all the dogs are kept behind a fence or on a lead, have little or no fear of humans.
            This morning as I strolled along the street, I observed a medium sized rabbit in a yard, possibly 15 feet from me. This rabbit was scratching its head with its back foot and it did not care weather I was there are not.
            In the olden days we hunted rabbits for food. Yes we were poor, and yes we had other food to eat.
Harvesting a wild rabbit or two was fun (for the hunter) and when properly cooked (fried in some bacon grease that was kept in a container on the stove) with some white gravy and a piece of cornbread along with some white beans, we had a meal.
Also, 100 years ago, when I was a kid, every kid had a BB gun. Rabbits and birds were smart and wary enough to stay hidden or at least away from humans. 
 
Wow”, I have strayed from the main topic again. As long as I am off the subject I will comment on a lazy cat that I saw this morning. Actually I heard several Mocking birds making a lot of noise in a tree next to the drive way where the gray cat lay. This cat did not seem to care that the mocking birds were there but the birds were upset that the cat was there.
Our old cat was named Bandit and the mocking birds would get after him. These birds would dive at Bandit’s back in an attempt to get him to go somewhere else. Bandit learned to lay down and roll over on his back when the birds began to dive at him. That would put a stop to the birds for a while.
Bandit had learned to ring the doorbell quite by accident. When he wanted in the house he would come to the front door and scratch at the door hoping someone would hear him. One day he jumped up on the ledge which put him close to the doorbell. When he began to scratch at the door he would hit the doorbell button which rang the doorbell.
One day, he rang the doorbell and when we went to the door we were surprised, he had a full grown rabbit, dead, which he was wanting to bring into the house.
 
Darn, I have been in left field and have not discussed, “overpopulation”.
 
In my next posting I will attempt to stay focused and present the facts about overpopulation.
 
I hope your day is filled with delight.
 
Don Ford 
 

No comments: