Translate

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Not Excellent but good 06.14.14

 
This ride started about 10:30am and I was riding alone. I like to ride alone but I like to have other riders with me when I stop for a break or food. Riding alone I do not need to be concerned about the other rider/s, you know, am I going too fast or too slow.
The temp was a mild but sticky 84 degrees. I should note that the humidity was actually higher than the temperature. 
Prior to this ride, I had failed to fill the gas tank on the wing, following my previous ride.
The fact that the power was off for eight hours here at, “The Ford Homestead”, on Friday 13th (see previous posting) cause me to need gas for the generator.
My gold wing serves as my reserve gas for lawn mowers and generator. When it is full I have 7 gallons of gas. I syphoned what I could from the almost empty wing, for the generator, on Friday 13th.
I filled the tank on the wing this morning prior to this ride (6 gallons). The information that the tank was full prior to the ride will be used later (if I don’t forget).
Once I was out of town on the smaller country roads, I noticed different smells. Yes there were smells of the cattle lot as I passed but also smells of mold or mildew. I also smelled fresh cut grass or possibly hay. There was more fresh air than odd smells.
There was a couple cool spots when I dropped off a big hill or as I rode past a large tank. The tank or lake was large enough to affect the air temp but not what I would call a large lake.
            At one point in the ride, I was on a straight road and I observed a buzzard having lunch. I honked my horn a couple times as I approached, not wanting this bird to fly into my windshield. This buzzard flew in the same direction I was going. As I rode under him I could see part of his lunch hanging from his beak.
            As I rounded another corner I scared up another buzzard along with a large hawk or possibly an eagle. The hawk or eagle was as large as the buzzard but it had brown feathers and its tail feathers were white. 
            Most of the ride was uneventful, enjoyable and quite relaxing.
            I arrived at the Bunk House a few minutes after high noon.  The parking lot was almost empty, possibly 4 vehicles park there.
I parked near the building (in my usual spot), hung the helmet on the bike and placed my gloves and long sleeved shirt in the trunk. The long sleeved shirt is used to keep the sun off my arms when I ride.
After entering the building, one walks up a ramp built for handicapped people and seasoned bikers like me.
I ordered my food and drink and sat down at the table.
The normal process after ordering food and drink is fill your glass with ice and your choice of drink, pick a table that allows one to see most of the customers and be seated.
When your food is ready someone will bring your food to you, usually this person calls out the number on your ticket, you raise your hand and the food is brought to your table.
I looked at my ticket and it was number 13. That would have seemed ominous if it were yesterday (Friday 13th).
 
Side note; I learned a day late that Friday 13th was a biker friend’s birthday. Wayne was 29 (plus) again. 
            Lunch was good and the tea was very refreshing. I sat there a few minutes after completing the meal, just observing the clientele. Most were either red necks like me, farmers or ranchers.
            I refilled my glass with ice and tea and headed out to the bike.
As I walked to my Honda a group of Harley riders came onto the parking lot. They dismounted their bikes and milled around (most were looking for their smart phones to see if they had received a text message during their ride).
As one of the Harley riders was walking past me toward the door, I said to him, “it don’t seem fair”.
He asked, “What’s that”?
I replied, “One Honda rider against 20 Harley riders”.
He laughed and said, “There are only 16 Harley riders, does that make if better”?
He then noted that he has owned two Honda Gold Wings prior to this Harley and he thought the Wings were much more reliable than a Harley. I didn’t argue. 
Evidently these Harley riders were all hungry, they just walked past me looking at their phones and did not throw any rocks. 
 
Having filled my belly, I headed for home.

I decided to fill the tank on the wing so I would have reserve gas at the house if needed.

My fun ride to lunch and back cost me $20.00 for food and gas, not counting the $18.00 of gas I put into the bike at the start of the ride. 
                      
Everything cost money except sitting on my Man Rocker, and that cost money too if it is happy hour.
 
Different topic: our first tomato from the small garden.
 
Have a good day.
Don Ford
 
 

No comments: