Translate

Sunday, May 4, 2014

It's my yard! 05.05.14

 
It’s my yard!                 05.05.14
 
                I thought it was my yard until Friday morning.
                Friday morning was typical in most respects, I got up and watch the so called news, as I had my morning repast with coffee.
I drink less coffee and seem to enjoy it more now that we have that one cup coffee maker. Truth is, the coffee is more expensive and as we all know, it is getting more difficult to find aluminum cans on the side of the road now that people are more aware of littering. Less littering, makes it more difficult to come up with coffee money; you know we are on a fixed income.
I have thought about sending my spouse out the night before the recycle truck makes its pickups. She might be able to get aluminum cans out of other peoples recycle carts. It could be less walking for her, when compared to picking cans up from the side of the highway. She would only need to go a few blocks around, “The Ford Homestead”.
As I was saying, it seemed to be a typical morning, I went through the three “S”; you know, shower, shave and the other “S”. I went outside to greet the morning and my, “body guard” Molly, was underfoot with me. Molly has willingly accepted the responsibility of being my personal assistant and Body guard, attempting to fill the void left after Tejas’ departure.
Molly has become a true killer. We know of three birds that she has killed and we have found feathers and other body parts in the yard, indicating that she is a true stalker.
I stepped off the driveway on to the stepping stones and surveyed the neighborhood. It was during that quite minute that a squirrel in the tree about 4 feet above me, began to bark. He was a big fat red squirrel, I can only assume that he considered the yard as his, and me as a tress passer. At first I laughed and then I became irritated. There was no rocks to toss at him so I clapped my hands and jumped up and down all the time hoping the neighbors did not see me.
The squirrel quickly retreated up into the higher branches of the tree, and I stepped back on the stepping stone. I stood there, savoring my short lived victory over that varmint.
He was back and he seem to be more irritated at me that I was at him. I, just for a second thought about the fact that we use to, “eat” squirrels when I was a kid.
Molly was rubbing against my leg trying to get my attention, the squirrel had returned to a position just above my head, and he had my attention.
Could it be that the squirrel was not upset with me but rather upset with Molly? Either way he was still barking loudly. I again made the gestures and clapped my hands and he retreated up into the higher branches.
These challenges to each other, occurred no less than 4 times before the squirrel left the scene.
I guess I showed him, whose yard it was.
I hope you are challenged in good ways today.
 
Don Ford
 

No comments: