Translate

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Overheard the conversation 05.08.14

Overheard the conversation 05.08.14

 
                I was strolling past our impressive blackberry garden (photo to follow), which is optimally located behind, “The Ford Homestead”. During this morning’s saunter around the grounds, I was privileged to overhear a plot.
Normally I would have ignored the comments, but we did suffer theft last year. Could these be the same two jailbirds who violated our property last year?
The comment was, “we will return in a week or so when no one is home and…”
Obviously, we no longer have a 100 pound German Shepherd in the yard, which had provided a major security barrier. Most thieves will avoid a property with a big dog. These birds were not detoured by the dog.
We must now rely on the cat. Molly, has been known to attack unsuspecting birds without warning. She is stealthy in her approach and cold hearted in the decimation of the bird.
Could this cat be our salvation?
Will she be able to provide the protection needed, or will we find her on Alex’s bed napping? I have nothing against a good nap when it is me indulging in the process.
It is not just the mockingbirds that eat the ripe black berries, just about any bird will feast in these delicious berries. I say they are, “delicious”, but I have never had one due to the repeated harvesting or should I say theft buy the birds. 
I have also considered another method of preventing this, “unauthorized harvesting”. I have a netting that goes with a large umbrella which we never use. The netting when installed on the umbrella will keep mosquitoes away.  So if I were to use the netting over the blackberries it should keep the birds out.
As you may understand, it would require me to actually do some work at “The Ford Homestead”. In all honesty, I am not trained in this type of netting. I have worked with nets when loading trucks but that is a different subject.
I think I will ponder this subject for a while, as the berries will not begin to ripen for another week or so.
The tall blackberry is 5 foot high.
Numerous green blackberries and additional blooms.
 
I hope you have a berry nice day.
 
Don Ford
 
The orange-ish rose has nothing to do with the berries but I thought it was kind of pretty.  

No comments: