Translate

Friday, May 30, 2014

Me, Bite off more than I can chew. 05.30.14

 
 
I make a suggestion, and someone thinks I am, “Biting off more than I can chew”.
            Talking about chewing, no I am not chewing tobacco again, why do you need to think the worst about everyone. You should be more positive.
When I used the word, “chewing” it reminded me of last evening with friends. Yes, I have friends, will you stop commenting and let me write this story.
Where was I? Chewing, yesterday late afternoon or early evening I met with motorcycle riding friends at Griff’s (a greasy spoon that has good food that a person on a fixed income can afford). We all met there about 6:30 (I was a couple minutes late which is very unusual for me, as I am usually the early person) no I am not going to say, “ the early person gets the worm.” If I keep getting these interruptions I may just stop the article. Who am I trying to kid here, I am going to write this thing regardless of how many interruptions I receive.
We arrived at Griff’s (I hope I am spelling the name correctly) and had our supper. During the conversation, gardens came up and a short discussion about canning vegetables from the garden. I unwittingly mentioned that my present wife of 45 years, use to can lots of items from the garden. I mentioned that we still had fruit jars and a pressure-cooker in our shed. One of the un-named people at our table suggested I not say pressure-cooker too loud, the NSA is listening to everything we say. We were also cautioned not to say guns or bombs.
We changed the subject and the NSA did not show up.
After a nice supper and a subdued conversation, noting that it would not be dark until 9:00 or later, we decided to take a short ride before heading for home. We took a leisurely ride at speeds below the speed limit through the country side.
 
Back to the original thought.
On my way home, after dropping Gabi off at school this morning, I was thinking about our conversation. I had suggested to Gabi that we write a story, possibly about cats. We would help each other with the subject matter and she would do all the art work (she is a good artist for a 7 year old). She liked the idea.
My reason for suggesting this is to keep her interested in reading and art.
As I drove I was thinking, “Have I bitten off more than I can chew”. You know how the mind of a genius works, it switches between subjects at light speed.
Personally, I believe it would be difficult for “me” to bite off more than I can chew. Think about it for a minute. If you can get it into your mouth and bite it off then you should be able to chew it.
            Other sayings that came to mind on the drive home;
You stepped in it”. Now this one is possible for even me.
Open mouth and insert foot”, do you have any idea how long it has been since I could literally, put my foot in my mouth?
           
            Anyway, our plan is to write a short kids story probably about cats and have Gabi do the art work. It should be fun, if Gabi can keep me focused.
 
I hope your day is good and that you, “don’t step in it”.
 
Don Ford

No comments: