Translate

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Everything is bigger in Texas?

At the Ford Homestead we received 1 and 1/10 inch of rain yesterday and last night.  After a nice rain like that, I usually like to review the flora around the Homestead. All seemed well and happy that it has rained again. We need all we can get as summer is coming this weekend.
The prognosticators are predicting temperatures in the 90s beginning Saturday. Summer is kinda like winter, except you stay inside to keep cool not warm in the summer months.
Several years ago we had planted black berries on the Ford Homestead. The first couple years the black berry patch yielded many berries, of which the birds took more than their share. These berries were about as big as my thumb and they had an excellent taste.
It was difficult to get to the black berry patch with the hose, so it often went un-watered. As you might expect, the plants began to die. Last year I dug up two remaining small plants and put them in a flower pot. One of the plants survived both last summer and winter. This spring the plant was looking good so I decided I would again plant it in the ground but closer to the other flowers for ease of watering.
My wife of 44 years decided to purchase an additional plant so I then had to plant two.
            In the above photo we see the two black berry plants. On the right is the plant from our back yard and on the left is the recently purchased plant.
            Black berries are known to spread. I have a 2 X 2 foot area for these plants (everything is not bigger in Texas) but it will be easy to expand to a 4 X 4 or larger area as needed.
            My grandson just came in saying he wants a donut. I said no I don’t have any money which is my normal reply. He walked away then returned with change in his hand saying he wants a donut and he has money. Needless to say, we are going to get a donut.
 
Have a berry nice day!
 
Don Ford
 
 
 
 

No comments: