Translate

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Shredding papers at the Ford Homestead

               As I sat in my chair, in what use to be my office, my constant companion Tejas asked what I was doing. I explained that my wife of 44 years had instructed me to shred three years of Ford Homestead top secrete papers. These papers could also be known as old checks and statements.
               The shredding of papers sounds easy but it is more difficult than first thought.  I first have to get the shredder from its storage location in the garage. Then I go through the book like calendar and remove all the checks and bills. Once these are removed I need to unfold each page or set of pages. After this preparation I oil the unit by placing a few drops of vegetable oil on the cutting blades (this is recommended by the mfg.). At this point I am ready to start the shredding process. When I start I try to feed the papers in the shredder in a manner as to keep the motor running continuously. I must occasionally check the shredded paper receptacle to keep it from getting too full. Dumping it into a trash bag is a skill in itself. I am skilled in removing the shredded paper to a point that I now do not spill any during the process, most of the time.
               I have found that is takes about an hour to shred a years’ worth of top secrete papers.
               My almost constant, “trouble companion,” has just come into the room and deposited her body on my desk and keyboard. This trouble making cat seems to enjoy getting in my way when I am trying to enter data into the computer or when I am shaving or brushing my teeth. If I wasn’t on a fixed income, I would offer money to someone to take the cat.
               Our memorial day was like most other days except my wife of 44 years made a brisket with all the trimmings. Later in the afternoon we had a very sweet water melon. Dave brought the grandkids over and we all enjoyed several slices of melon.
 
That is all for now, I hope you are having a happy day.
 
 
Don Ford
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Ruby said...

At least you've already finished shredding years' worth of papers. It feels good to declutter and throw away those things we don't need anymore. Sometimes it becomes important since we have to properly discard files that contain sensitive information, and your cat sounds adorable. Have a good week too!

Williams Data Management