Translate

Monday, May 6, 2013

Little Emergency

            It is now afternoon on Monday and I have had a nap. Our little emergency began Sunday night about 10:00pm. I was sleeping comfortably; my wife of 44 years was watching TV or possibly sleeping in her recliner. The grand kids were put to bed about 8:30 but evidently one of them had not gone to sleep.
            I was awoken from my needed sleep by Donna saying something about taking Alex to the emergency room. That got my attention and I spring from my bed. Ok I didn’t spring I was able to roll over and get out of bed.
It seems as if Alex had put a small piece from a Lego set in his nose and could not get it out. He tried blowing it out but it was stuck. Claire was going to take him to the emergency room so I decided to go also. To make a short story long, we arrived, completed the forms, Claire and Alex went back to one of the examining rooms and I sat in the waiting room.
They were able to remove the item and gave Alex a couple stickers. He was in a good mood and so was us adults.
 
Different subject:
Last week I decided to thin some of the limbs out of a tree in the back yard.  I was able to remove several smaller limbs using the manual pole saw. The last limb I cut had to be a pain and it was trying my patience. Everyone knows how patient and calm I am, but this limb was trying to get me to cross to the dark side. The limb was cut most of the way through and it broke over but did not fall. It was very high (I had the pole saw extended to the max) and in a position where I could not complete the cut. I grabbed onto the limb and twisted and pulled to no avail. Deciding to keep my religion and not drift to the dark side, I cut all the smaller branches from this devil limb leaving only the bare stub hanging in the tree. Later David and I both pulled on this limb and it came down.
We had some wind in the last few days and as you may be able to see in the photo below, we had a limb break but not come completely out, from a different tree.  
            I have been in the process of cutting this tree down one large limb at a time. This particular limb decided to come down of its own accord. Possibly the wind gusting to 40 MPH may have played a part in the limb breaking. Basically I was unable to get in a position to cut this limb at the break, so I removed as much as I could from the ground.
            In the next photo we see a different limb on the ground. In fact this limb was the limb that the broken limb was attached to. I used the gas powered pole saw and cut this limb and I was not able to cut always the way through the limb. The problem was getting in the right position to make the complete cut. I use the manual pole saw to finish the cut and down the limb came.
           
            This morning, even though I was tired from the emergency run last night, I picked up all the limbs and branches and loaded them on the trailer. Alex helped me and as usual the load is immaculate. You can lift the front of the trailer easily due to perfect balancing.
           
            On a different subject, I will be having cataract surgery on my right eye next Monday.
 
            Have a good week.
 
            Don Ford

No comments: