Translate

Friday, October 27, 2017

Irritated with the old buzzard 10.27.17

                I like the title too! The old buzzard in this setting isn’t me, but I am very irritated with the old buzzard. As some of you know, I am not the only retired senior person in this neighborhood. There are plenty of the old buzzards to go around.
                My story begins on one of the coldest days we have had in a while. The temp this morning when I got up was in the 60s, it is now in the low 50s. The weather lady informed us that the temp would drop all day.  About 10:00am I decided to make a run to the cleaners to get a couple items that we had cleaned. I left the house in winds that were 25 to 30 mph. The Ford’s Chevy was bouncing around as if I were on a rough road, but I had not left the drive way!
                I proceeded east on Arkansas street, turned left going north on Texas street. The Waco Cop that lives on the corner of Arkansas and Texas streets, was taking his German Sheppard for a walk. Nice looking dog. I had driven maybe 100 feet when I became upset! I could not believe what I was seeing there in the road ahead.
                As you may know, retired persons don’t have a lot of money, and when we have a chance to get a free meal, we take it! I could not believe what I saw ahead of me. There in the road, what could have been supper at the Ford’s Homestead, was a dead squirrel.
                It appeared to be a fresh kill, possibly only having been ran over once or twice.
                My mouth watered as I was thinking about, “Road Kill Soup” for supper, while at the same time my eyes teared up, knowing we would not have Road Kill Soup for supper tonight. I decided to not tell my present spouse about this wonderful squirrel, as it would be too traumatic, and she would likely cry more than I have, over what could have been, a delicious supper of Road Kill Soup!
                Now you should understand why I am irritated with the old buzzard, or in the case the old buzzards. There should be boundaries, lines that are not crossed without severe consequences for these old buzzards. In truth, after reviewing the photo below, I don’t think they were old buzzards, but possibly young buzzards. They were not afraid of the Fords Chevy and weren’t afraid of the U S mail carrier either.
                I guess it is possible that some other retired person has trained these buzzards to find good road kill, and either carry it back to them, or bring the retired person to the road kill. That may be why these buzzards were not afraid of humans.

                Anyway, I did go get the clothes from the cleaners and when I made it home, I found that my spouse had gone to town. It was lunch time and I had some scraps that we were saving for Tres and a couple crackers for my lunch.
                After my meager lunch, I attempted to take a nap. My first wife phoned me from Penny’s, which woke me up, she said, I found them! I said great, where were they. She replied right where I had been on Wednesday. That made us both happy, as we would not need to try and find money to replace them.
What?    You want to know what she found.              It was her sun glasses that she had lost a couple days ago while shopping at Penny’s. I guess that should tell Penny’s that their cleaning crew, if they have one, are not doing a very good job if a pair of sun glasses can lay on the floor for two days.

May your day be filled with Road Kill Soup!

Don Ford


No comments: