Translate

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Technology 05.31.17

                What does that word mean? I checked the definition of technology and there were several well worded sentences. Let me attempt to define it in an understandable and concise manner.

                Technology, “Technical knowledge”! For those of you who do not know what those two words mean, you should stop reading now.

                Why have I brought this word up, I will be happy to explain? As I walked this morning, I was thinking about school ending this week, and I wondered what students, now days, are actually learning.

                Hear in the great state of Texas kids are not taught how to write! These students are however taught how to print and enter data (in the olden days it was known as typing).

                As I sit here considering this, I began to wonder if a person needs to know how to write. In the olden days, people would write letters and instructions. Writing in cursive form took less time when compared to printing. Also in the olden days, we had writing classes and were graded on proper cursive writing. I scribbled and never made a good grade in writing class. Heck I still scribble even today.

            In what situation now days, would a person need to be able to read and write in cursive? One thought is, “a person needs to write their signature in cursive. Is that a true statement? Could a person’s signature be printed? Why not? In the olden days, on the old TV shows (and we know those TV shows were factual) a cowboy couldn’t write, so they made their mark.

            Which is easier to read, the cursive or the print?

                Another thing I have considered, do students learn things and store them in their memory, or do they learn how to look up subjects. One can look anything up in just a few seconds, so why would they need to remember? Everyone has a computer, or a tablet, and or a smart phone. Why do we need to know anything as long as we know how to find it on the internet?

                I push a button on my somewhat smart phone, say a word and the phone’s voice tells me the definition. I don’t even need to read the definition. Heck after I get done writing this wonderful article, my computer reads it out loud to me so I can find errors.

 

Print, or write, do you really care?

 

Don Ford

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know in some school systems they have stopped teaching cursive writing. How will these kids read my notes?��