Translate

Monday, May 29, 2017

What's going on 05.29.17

                As I see it, the question proposed by the title of this soon to be, “brilliantly written” article is, “What has been happening in the world of the Ford Homestead” or, “Why hasn’t the Donald been posting”?
                True, some of you may have thought I was giving you a vacation by not posting, while others possibly thought I was on vacation. Nope, neither are correct.
                I find it interesting that only one person (aka reader) noticed that I had not been posting. I guess that says a lot for my brilliantly written and equally boring articles. But, as you can see that does not stop this, “Artists of words” from writing and posting. J
                The residence of the Ford Homestead have been busy lately. As an example, Friday May 19th we went to Gabi’s field day. The kids have all kinds of events from about 9:00 to almost noon. Then on May 24th, my first wife went to the local water park as Gabi’s class and many other classes had a day of splashing in the water. This past Friday we went to Alex’s field day, which lasted from 9:00 to noon.
                My first wife invoked her father on me saying, “Dad would roll over in his grave if he could see the weeds in this garden”. She had a point, her dad did have one of the nicest gardens, and there were no weeds in it. With that in mind, I properly prepared a portion of this, “weed infested garden” for some new onions. I spend time on my hands and knees removing weeds and loosening the earth. We could not find any onion sets this late in the season. We used onion seeds for this planting. These seeds were on a biodegradable paper tape, something that I have not tried before.
                I now have several chiggers in places we will not discuss. One of those chiggers has located himself on the top of my left foot under the area where the shoe string is tied. Why that would be important, one might ask, allow me to explain. When I walk I irritate the chigger and it itches!
                I was required by the COO here at the homestead to level some cement flower pots that were leaning slightly. Not being one to go into great detail let’s just say, the cement flower pot sets on a cement table top which sits on a cement column which sits on a square cement block. All had to be removed by this senior citizen, dirt had to be brought in, the block replaced and a level used to determine if the block was indeed level. When the cement block was found to be level this old senior citizen was forced to replace the cement column, the cement table top and then the cement flower pot.
                There were two of these Flower pots. I didn’t even mention that it was 94 degrees and100% humidity, or that I had to fight ants that were claiming one of the flower pots.
                Those are just a few of the activities that have been occurring here at the ford homestead. I have been able to get a few naps in now and then during these exhausting times!
                I did walk this morning and I found it quite peaceful. Today is Memorial Day! Many people are off work and the schools are closed today. There was not one vehicle seen as I walked today, do you know how nice that is. I only seen one human during the morning walk and it was one of the retired seniors who live on our street retrieving his so called morning newspaper.
                The morning was overcast which I assume helped dampen the sounds. There was a slight mist in the air that helped dampen me. In truth, the only sounds I heard were the birds and one annoying squirrel. The birds were singing and fluttering around looking for a morning breakfast of bugs. That darn squirrel was barking at me in a manner which seemed to indicate that he thought I should go to well, somewhere else. What he didn’t know was, if it was legal I would have exterminated him, long ago!
                During this morning walk I also experienced one less than desirable encounter. When I say one, I mean one category of event, which occurred several times over. What category, you ask! It was that smell of rotting garbage coming from each trash container sitting on the street. I do not normally notice this disgusting smell as there is usually a breeze, but today's calm allowed the distasteful order to hang heavily around each receptacle. Rotting garbage did take away from the morning walk but one should always expect some distraction in their lives.
                We did have some rain storms go through last night, and luckily we received mostly rain and no real storms. When I checked the rain gage this morning we had ¾ of an inch of rain last night, but there was no standing water. Yep, the ground has soaked up the water.

May all your walks be free of squirrels and garbage!

Don Ford

No comments: