Translate

Monday, May 22, 2017

Bird food 05.22.17

                As I sit here cookie in hand, I consider dunking the cookie in my cup of coffee. Me, eating this well prepared cookie that my first wife prepared, cause me to think back about the birds that I observed this morning, as I prepared for, and later observed during my morning walk.

                Today is trash pickup day (AKA garbage day) so I was required to move the Fords Trash container to the curb. Prior to this move, I had decided to take the trash bag from the Homestead and place it into the Trash container. As I walked toward the container I noticed several birds on, and around the trash container. Then I saw the reason for the gathering of our feathered friends. There were some white larva, also known as “Maggots”.

                These little white maggots would, if left alone, soon become flies. Just what we need more of, flies. I opened the trash receptacle and deposited the trash bag, noticing more maggots inside the container. The birds watched me as I moved their breakfast out to the curb.

                Naturally I walked back to the Homestead and used some hand sanitizer prior to the morning walk.

                I did notice that there were several birds at each trash container along the street, I assume they were also getting breakfast.

                Have you noticed how close the words Maggot and Magnet sound? Even though the two are very different, they both seem to have some of the same traits.

                We received an inch of rain Friday night through Saturday morning. We also had more rain last night where we received another half inch of rain. I should say the ground has soaked all the rain in, there is no standing water. 

                We have harvested a bunch of black berries the last two days.

                What? That should be obvious! The traits which they have can be explained in one word, Attraction”!

                I have purchased a new walk behind lawn mower, even though I do not like the front wheel drive version, that was all we could afford being on a fixed income. I put the mower together, then I read the instructions, just to be sure I was correct. I added the oil and put some gas in it. I then thought I would pull the starter rope very slow in an effort to get the oil moved around inside the motor before I actually attempted to start the motor. To my surprise, the motor started.

I was not trying to start it, but it started. I shut it off. I then tried to pull the rope gently again and it started! Truthfully, I believe my seven year old grandson could easily start this mower.  WOW, cheap but good!

                What? You don’t understand Attraction? Why do I always have to explain everything? Maggots attract the birds, Magnets attract other metals. Think about what I teach you and you will be…

Attract not or you will be attractive! (Words of wisdom from the Ford)

Don Ford 

No comments: