Translate

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Braille 05.11.17

                It was a normal morning walk, the weather prognosticators were saying it might rain, but they have been saying that for some time now. We could use some rain but not storms. Let me say that over the last few weeks there have been storms all around us, but they have missed Hewitt. We are happy that the storms missed us, but we would like to have some gentle rain.
                This morning I picked a different walking stick, just to have some variety in my life. Today’s walking stick is number 6 (F-VI). In the olden days when I made my walking sticks, I would identify them with an, “F” (for Ford) and a roman numeral.
                You might ask, why I need a walking stick. I like to have something in my hand as I walk. You know, it just gives you something to do as you walk. I guess you could consider it as a distraction from the action of walking. Also, I like the possibility that someone might comment on the unique walking stick that I have made. I do believe some of my walking sticks could be used as, self-defense weapons.  
                Think of it this way, walking is a lot like driving a car! You know, when you drive your car you must have something in your hands. Usually you have your phone in your hand, but if not the phone, you have a cup of coffee or some type of snack, possibly an order of French fry sitting either in your lap or next to you. Reaching for each fry allows you to have something in your hand, and having something in your hand is very comforting which takes your mind off the chore of driving.
                So now you see how a walking stick can keep your mind off walking and how it is like driving!
                As I walked, I allowed the stick to slide up and down through my hand. This rhythmic movement was somehow refreshing. As the stick moved through my fingers I began to feel something. At first I could feel something like small holes on the stick. As the stick moved I continued to consider what I was feeling on the stick. After the small holes I could feel something like a small straight line. I thought, this could not be something natural on the stick, not a straight line. Then it popped into my head, could there be a braille message on this walking stick.
                I finally decided to look at the stick and see what my fingers were feeling. I began to laugh when I saw what it was. There was a message on the stick. I remembered putting it there when I made the stick. The message is in mores code and it is, (dit dit dit dah dah dah dit dit dit) which is, “SOS”. When I made this stick I noticed that it was a little larger than my other sticks and I thought, if it were ever used in a self-defense setting, the other person would need help. Click to enlarge the photo.
               
                Mistry solved, I continued my morning walk, a little happier and still distracted from the walking process.

Sometimes being distracted is better than reality!

Don Ford

No comments: