Translate

Monday, December 26, 2016

Holiday over 12.26.16

            Now that the holiday is over, I, along with many other senior citizens can get back to the daily grind! Before that one person asks, the daily grind for a senior citizen on a fixed income will be defined as:
            “Get up at the same time each morning,
            Have your first cup of coffee at the same time,
            Watch the so-called news programs on the same channel at the same time so one
            can complain about it later,
            Go for a walk at the same time taking the same path,
            Have lunch at the same time,
            Take your nap at the same time,
            Sit around and complain about nothing to do all afternoon,
            Eat supper at the same time.”
Of course there may be some timely trips to the restroom during the day that were not included in this list. If we weren’t on a fixed income, we could go places and do things like real people!
           
            Christmas is over and I must say I did get some nice gifts. Eatable items included peppermints and popcorn, which are always enjoyed by me, gift card to one of my favorite places, much appreciated. A handmade painting from Gabi and Alex, a new key fob, (you didn’t think I knew that word, did you) along with new pants and a new sports coat. There is a subscription to the QST magazine (ham radio). I even got a new drone that is supposed to be easier to fly than my old drone. I hope you did as well as I did on the receiving end!

            The red oak trees decided to finally drop their leaves and the yard was covered.
 
 Then the wind began to blow. I believe that more than half of the leaves were blown from our yard into the street, and other neighbor’s yards. J
 
That will make the clean up later today much easier. Unfortunately the wind did not remove the leaves from the flower beds which I will need to do manually. How does this yard work fit into my daily schedule? It doesn’t, but the grounds manager is on vacation and I will need to do his work for him! 

            This morning as I was sitting in the Ford’s rocker on the drive way near the garage door, the garbage truck came down the street. I like to keep an eye on events in our neighborhood (known as the nosy neighbor syndrome). The garbage I mean sanitation truck, approach the neighbors trash container (no it is not a sanitation container as they are all filled with trash). When the driver applied the brakes all eight back wheels locked up and the vehicle slid about 10 feet on the damp leaves that covered the road.
            We may not have slick roads here in Hewitt due to the snow but the leaves provide some drivers with a little thrill.
            Well I need to get started with the leaf removal effort, so I will end for now.

May you be healthy and happy!

Don Ford 

No comments: