Translate

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

First day of winter 12.21.16

            What I had planned for the first day of winter was, rake leaves and then vacuum them up with the lawn mower. The leaves had piled up during the most recent freezing cold and windy weather. Plans often go astray. 
            This is what happened, one of those silly ole senior citizens called me and asked if I want to go to Stephenville TX for some BBQ. BBQ sounds good but why Stephenville, why not eat here in town, did he know Stephenville was 90 miles away? That’s when this story gets even odder. It was suggested that we might want to get some of the senior citizen bikers together and ride to Stephenville for lunch. After lunch, we could have a casual ride, taking the back roads home.
            My first response was, its cold outside. It was suggested that we could dress in layers. I said I would need to check my schedule to see if I had any obligations, and the voice on the other end of the phone said, “You mean you need to ask your wife”? My response was, “yes”.
            It happened that I did have an obligation to pick up the grand kids at school at noon on the first day of winter! Good, I don’t have to ride in the cold winter weather!
            I told my present spouse of the ride and she said she would pick up the kids at school. It was as if she wanted me to freeze my tail off, in the cold winter weather. Why was she being so mean to me, encouraging me to associate with those senior bikers on the first day of winter? Does she enjoy punishing me? Had I done something wrong again, and not realized it?
            Ok I guess I could go if I can find my cold weather riding gear. Yes, in the past I had ridden in the cold weather many times with friends, but I was younger and the cold did not seem to affect me as much.
            Unfortunately, I was able to find my winter riding gear. What if my bike will not start, I would have a good excuse to stay at home! I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, as I had not started the bike for three or four weeks. Securing the key, and feeling more positive that I would not be subjected to the tremendous cold of the first day of winter, I walked to the bike. Key inserted, turned and the starter button pushed, the bike spring to life, darn it, the bike started. Maybe I should not have had the battery tickle charger attached, as it keeps the battery charged.
            Ok, I have no other excuse, I guess I will go. That BBQ better be good!
            It was a frigid cold 42 degrees when I left the Ford Homestead riding to the meeting place. Think about this, 42 degrees don’t sound bad, but when you are on a motorcycle moving at 40 to 70 mph there is a wind chill factor!
            I arrived at the meeting location and all the extra clothing was keeping me warm. My handle grips are heated so my hands were warm. All in all, it wasn’t too bad!
            Our group left the assembly area at 9:30 sharp and headed out highway 6. There was a cross wind that was buffeting us somewhat for the first 30 miles or so. Being experienced senior citizen bikers, we were able to withstand the harsh winds.
            In an attempt to shorten this story somewhat, 90 miles later we arrived at the BBQ restaurant. I must say the food was good and the service was excellent. Especially the young lady wearing the short shorts with the tattoo on the back of her leg. 
            We enjoyed some lively conversation while we were eating the BBQ. We may have taken close to 45 minutes at the restaurant when we noticed the building was filling with patrons. Obviously this is a popular eating place.
            We were able to get up from the table and make our way outside to the bikes. Our group leader, Nick, took us on several outstanding back roads as we made our way back to civilization. My odometer recorded, 225 miles for this first day of winter ride.
            All in all, it was a very good ride, the first day of winter turned out to have a high temp of 69 degrees.
                        Wish you were here! 

May all your rides be as good!

Don Ford 

No comments: