Translate

Monday, March 7, 2016

Was it good, or was it bad 03.07.16

In response to a critic, I have prepared a summary of this posting.
Read the summary and you don’t need to read the entire posting, you are welcome!

Summary: Was it a day from hell, no, it was a day that allowed me to solve problems. I was able to use the skills I have acquired over the years, staying in a positive frame of mind. Each time a problem occurred I took it as a challenge and made the best of the situation (lemonade from lemons).
When you feel as if you are going to be upset, stop for a second and smile! You will not believe how much a smile helps you stop being upset! Then with the smile on your face, in kind of a laughing mode say something like, “If that is the worse that happens, it isn’t too bad!”

Summary complete, you may stop reading now and go outside for recess.

The question I had about an entire day is, “what was it”? Was it a day from hell, or something else? You can help me decide.
This day began like most others except, I did not take the grand kids to school. Their mother took the day off as it was Alex’ birthday, and she was going to have lunch with him at school.
           The boy is six years old, which means he will be old enough to drive in only 10 years!
            Back to my story, it was a little before lunch when I decided to make a list of things I wanted to purchase in town this afternoon, after I do a few chores. I ate a quick lunch and immediately went outside to face the forced labor that is required of me, or else! 
            What were these forced labors, mowing and weed eating The Ford Homestead grounds. Venturing out of the house I was more than surprised that the neighbor, just to the south of me, was working in his yard. He actually picked up the limbs from his front and back yard, and was using his string trimmer, attempting to remove weeds from around his house and fence.
            Proceeding to my shed, I decided to remove the riding mower battery from the solar charger, which is in the shed, and re-install the battery in the mower. Being mechanically inclined, I knew that installing the battery would take a couple minutes and I would be ready to mow.
            That plan went south when I connected the positive wire to the battery. What happened you may ask, there was a small spark? To the untrained, that might not seem important, but to a person of my unquestionable knowledge, that spark was bad news. There should not have been a spark when properly connecting the battery terminals.
            Reviewing the battery connections, I find that someone must have placed the battery in the compartment backwards. Who was messing around with my battery?
            I then removed the battery and placed it back into the compartment properly, I double checked the installation before reconnecting the wires. I confidently mounted the mower, inserted the key, set the choke and turned the key. NOTHING!
            I now assumed that a fuse was blown. Where is the fuse located? I looked under the hood but nothing, then I got down on the ground looking at the underside of the mower. Seniors should not be crawling around on the ground. Not finding the fuse I decided to get up off the ground and go back to the garage to find the booklet for the mower.
            I have a large clear plastic tote in which I deposit all booklets and info about all the items we purchase. It took a few minutes of searching before I found the instruction manual for the mower. Another 5 minutes of reviewing the booklet I found that the fuse was supposed to be located under the fender. 
            Armed with this information, I proceeded back out to the mower and again got down on the ground and looked under the mower’s fender. There was no fuse under the fender. I decided to remove the battery again (third time) and see if there is a fuse in the battery compartment.
            Found it! I removed the fuse and it was blown. Now I needed a 20 amp fuse. Heading back to the garage I began to search through my fuse collection. Fuse found, I returned to the mower and installed the fuse. After reinstalling the battery I again remounted the mower, inserted the key and turned it. The mower did nothing!
            Now what? Being a person that never loses his cool, I decided to go back to the garage, for the 43rd time, and check the instruction manual for a second fuse, and get a drink of water.
            All this time my so called neighbor was mowing and trimming his yard.
            No additional fuses found, I put the manual back in the tote then replace the tote. I returned to the mower and again mounted it. I checked all the controls and found that the mowing blade was engaged, and the mower will not start with the blades engaged. Controls set, I again tried to start the mower, and it started!
            Finally, I am mowing the yard. 30 minutes later, I was putting the mower away. (Note, there was an additional 30 minutes used in preparation of the mower.) Having completed the first part of the labor I went to the shed and acquired the weed eater. After adding gas I started the unit and began trimming the weeds and grass along the fence and around all the things in the back yard.
            Back yard completed I immediately proceeded to the driveway and front yard. That is when the string ran out. Now I had to return to the shed to get more string (57 trip to shed). Installing the string isn’t the easiest thing to do in an old string trimmer.
            A couple tries and a few minutes later I returned to the front yard and started the trimmer. All went well for most of the yard and then the string messed up again. There is a chair on the front porch to sit in while attempting to solve this problem. After a few attempts I again had the string installed and was back at the trimming. There are two strings on this trimmer and one broke. I now know that I will need a new head for this trimmer, but I was able to get through the rest of the yard.
            After returning the trimmer to the shed, I procured the leaf blower. It had plenty of gas so I headed for the drive way. I attempted to start the blower and the rope that is pulled to start the unit would not retract.
            I went into the garage to sit in the shade and work on this unit. I removed a few screws and was able to get the rope to retract. The blower started and I was able to get all the leaves and grass off the driveway, street and walk.
            Everything done and equipment put away I headed for the house to get a shower and head for town to do some necessary shopping.
            While I was in the shower my phone was ringing. No I did not jump out of the shower to answer the phone, I continued removing the debris from my body. Once I was clean I checked the phone message and it was from my son reminding me of an intimate group birthday party for Alex.
            I decided that going to town was now out of the question. I assumed the position in my recliner and awaited the arrival of my present wife.
Was it a day from hell, no, it was a day that allowed me to solve problems. I was able to use the skills I have acquired over the years, staying in a positive frame of mind. Each time a problem occurred I took it as a challenge and made the best of the situation (lemonade from lemons).
When you feel as if you are going to be upset, stop for a second and smile! You will not believe how much a smile helps you stop being upset! Then with the smile on your face, in kind of a laughing mode say something like, “If that is the worse that happens, it isn’t too bad!”
Each day is what we make of it. We can solve problems and continue through the day in a positive mode, or we can become upset and mad at the world, it’s our choice.
Personally, I enjoy a day where I accept a few challenges and continue in a positive manner, rather than becoming upset at myself and the world and complaining all day. No one wants to be around a complainer!
                                                                                                             
This positive day ended in an even more positive mode when we had supper with David, Claire, Gabi and the birthday boy, Alex.  
                    (Alex’s favorite color is green a good Irish lad)

Accept the day as a challenge, be positive,
smile a little, you will be happier, 
you may live longer!

Don Ford

No comments: