Translate

Friday, March 25, 2016

Riding or not 03.25.16


            It was a day like many here in the state of wind, we had a steady breeze of about 60 mph, with gusts slightly higher, in the range of 82 mph. The temp was a chilling 40 at 5:00am and only warmed up to 63 by days end.
            I had thought about riding my Wing out to the Bunk House for lunch, yes, even with these harsh conditions. I had walked to the garage and stood in the sun light out of the wind, thinking it wasn’t too bad and maybe I should get out and enjoy the day.
I then walked out into the yard away from the safety of the house’s wind blocking effects. It was too windy, and colder than a well diggers shovel. I quickly decided against a ride to the bunkhouse, even though they have discounts on Thursday for older people.
We had received ¾ inch of rain the night before, I guess that help get the fertilizer for the grass into the ground.
The rest of the day was rather non-eventful. K         Until, I received a text message wanting to know if I was going to ride with the Honda bunch tonight.
I had to give some thought to this possible ride. The group will leave the Honda shop at 6:30 and ride to a restaurant, usually taking about an hour. That part would not be too bad, I thought, and eating some food would not be too bad.
What about the ride home? It would be a ride of about an hour, in freezing cold temperatures as low as 52 degrees. But worse of all, I would be riding in the dark, and everyone knows there are bogymen in the dark.
What to do?    Should I stay or should I go?             Get it, like the TV commercial. What, am I the only person that has seen the TV commercial that uses the, “Should I stay or should I go”, comment?  Why do I even try?
I went. The ride to West was nice, mostly uneventful except for the blinding sun shining in our eyes several times. Even with the sun glasses and the visor to help block the sun there were a few short periods of times that I, in all honesty, could not have seen something on the road in front of me. In those situations, I followed the bike in front of me and hoped he could see.
At the restaurant, the pizza place in West Texas, (West, Texas is the name of a town and not a direction) there was two riders, myself and Jason, along with the rest of the group who were all Honda employees. I suggested that they could temporarily hire us as consultants and then this would be a business meeting.
I don’t think we were hired but we did get our meal free. J
The ride home was good as I had a wind breaker over my coat, my winter gloves and the handle grips on my bike are heated.
That 75 mph speed limit on the interstate is somewhat daunting, when your speedometer is showing 80 and the cars and trucks are passing you.
Home safe and sound, I drifted off to a good night’s sleep.

Have a nice Easter!

Don Ford

No comments: