Translate

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Questions and answers 04.07.15

 
                I thought I should answer some questions that I have received from the millions of readers out there.
                Did we have family to the house for Easter?  Yes, family were all here and the Easter Bunny brought Alex a tablet. He immediately began taking photos of everyone and at one point requested that everyone go into the back yard and pile up (he meant stand together) so he could take a photo of us.  Yes, it turned out good.
                Many of you have asked how the garden is doing.  It is coming along nicely, between the light rains and my watering it has begun to grow.
                One of the most asked questions was, “did anyone play an April Fool joke on me”? There was one joke played on me and it wasn’t very nice. I had decided to wash the truck for several reasons.
First it was dirty and needed to be washed.
Second, it had not been washed for about six months, (I try to wash the pick up at least twice a year).
Third, it was covered with pollen.  You should know that my truck is a dark gray and with the pollen it was a light greenish yellow.
                After washing the truck and drying all the glass, I moved it part way into the garage. This allowed me to be close to my wall mounted shop vac. While inside the truck attempting to remove some of the dirt and dust, I happened to look out the recently washed, front windshield which was now covered with pollen. I was surprised to say the least, and that is when I looked at the hood, it was also covered with that greenish yellow pollen.
                I had just washed the truck and it was already covered again with pollen. After several minutes of crying and asking, “why me”, I gathered my composure and continued the process of removing dirt and dust from inside the truck. Mother Nature had played a cruel April fool’s joke on me!
 
                Another question is, how is the yard looking this year? It looks fairly good considering all the weeds and acorns that are in it. I have mowed a couple times and it looks good following a mowing. I mowed on April first after washing the truck and as usual I follow up the mowing with the leaf blower to clean off the drive way and walkway. This time I looked at the recently washed truck and decided to turn the leaf blower on the truck. Wow, there was a yellow cloud of pollen that arose from the vehicle as the air from the leaf blower did its job.
                I was asked if I found where the smell was coming from. The other night my spouse of 46 years was sitting at my desk, using my computer looking at photos that she wanted to have printed. I had walked in to see how she was progressing when the aroma of something that smelled as if it was getting hot, hit me in the face. I began to touch everything in the room attempting to locate the overheated item. I found nothing so I decided to walk out into the garage to see if the aroma was coming from there. It wasn’t!
                I returned to the office and was again struck by the odor of something getting hot. I again touched everything that could potentially become hot and nothing. I then walked from the office to the laundry room and the smell was not there.
                I was now sure what ever was causing the odor was coming from the office. I, not being one to give up easily, again surveyed the room for potentially hot items.
Looking up possibly for, “divine intervention”, I observed the fluorescent light that has served me for many years. Could it be this faithful servant, “the light?”
I carefully removed the plastic cover, and touched the metal fixture. I found the source of the hot smell, it was the ballast in the light.
I removed the entire fixture (a four foot two light fixture) from the ceiling and my present spouse brought a lamp into the office. The ballast in the fixture was leaking hot tar (or some type of black substance that looks like tar).  
What?  You want to know if I replace the fixture. The next day I went to the local home center and purchased a two light incandescent fixture. I installed it in a professional manner and I must say, it sucks! I now have about half the amount of light as before.
My 5 year old grandson walked in the office and said, “Your light is burning out, you need to get a new one, I didn’t tell him it was a new one.
Being totally unsatisfied with the new fixture, I have ordered another 4 foot fluorescent fixture which I will install later this week.
 
There are other questions but I am tired and will stop for now. If you have questions just go to my web site and click on the button marked, Questions.
 
I hope you are having a marvelous day.
 
Don Ford
          No I don’t have a web site. Being on a fixed income I can’t afford one. If enough donations come in I will get one, thanks for asking. 
 

No comments: