Translate

Thursday, April 23, 2015

It turned out ok 04.23.15

 
                It was a lazy Saturday in the small but well-kept town of Hewitt Texas. The weather was humid and there were a lot of clouds with a temperature of about 70 degrees.
                I was getting tired of doing nothing so I enquired of my present spouse if she was interested in going to Clifton, Texas, to the Bunkhouse for lunch. I noted that we had the option to take the Gold Wing, the truck or the van.
                She looked at me as if she was thinking but did not respond. Receiving no response, I returned to doing nothing at my desk other than watching something on the history channel about aliens from space.
                Before you ask, yes I believe space travelers have visited the earth many times and probably still do.                 Where do you think Velcro came from?
                About 15 minutes later my spouse walked into the room and asked if she would need a long sleeved shirt for the ride. I now knew that we were going to the bunk house and that we were taking the bike.
                Now, I needed to get ready to go.
                We left, “The Ford Homestead” about 11:00. The cloudy humid weather made riding at highway speeds feel somewhat cooler than the true air temperature. Other than being cloudy, it wasn’t a bad day for riding. There was no wind at all. When I say no wind, the leaves on the trees were totally still.
                Our ride took us through McGregor, Crawford, and Valley Mills with the final destination of Clifton, TX.
                We arrived at the Bunkhouse about 12:00 noon and were happy to see that there wasn’t a large crowd. We ordered our lunch and enjoyed the food and time together talking about many things.
                The photo below was taken inside the Bunk house. My $5.00 phone doesn’t have the best camera so the photo is somewhat grainy. Donations will be accepted for the purchase of a new Smart Phone, all donations should be identified, “for Don’s new Smart phone”.
                I had suggested to my spouse of 46 years that we could stop at some Junk Antique stores if she wanted. Fortunately, Clifton has a few Antique stores so we didn’t need to ride too far from the Bunkhouse.
                Donna went shopping and I sat on a bench in front of the store.
In the photo above, we see the Ford’s means of transportation. The white stone building has a café in the bottom. There is an eight foot tall fence, which is difficult to see, just to the left of the building. I assume that area could be used for parties. I thought of the white house fence and wondered if anyone had tried to jump over this fence.
The building obviously has an upstairs and I imagined it as being the residence of the café owners, but it is probably just a party and or meeting area.
There is a silo just across the street from the café, which appeared to be about 80 feet tall. What interested me was the birds that were building their nests around and under the overhang of the roofs.  There were literally hundreds of Barn Swallows flying around the top of the silo.
                These swallows build their nest from mud and there were nests against nest all around the silo. I wondered if it was ever confusing to the birds, as to which nest was theirs. 
                Something else I noticed in this small country town, there were very few cars. It seemed as if everyone was driving either a pickup, which is not unusual in the country, or an SUV. I guess the SUV has taken the place of the family car.
                We took the long scenic route home. The sun had come out making the ride somewhat more enjoyable. We were surprised that we saw less blue bonnets out in the country than we had seen in and around the city of Waco.
                As the title line stated, “It turned out ok”,            that is, our ride turned out ok.  
 
I hope your phone takes better photos than mine.
 
Don Ford
 

No comments: