Translate

Monday, April 13, 2015

Light bill 04.13.15

 
                While I was laying in my bed watching the old black and white TV shows, there was a comment that caught my attention.
                What? What does it make any difference which TV show I was watching, my story has nothing to do with the show, it has to do with the comment made by one of the people on the show!
I am telling you, I am getting tired of these constant interruptions.
                Now I have lost my train of thought. I know I was thinking about the olden days and prices of things. It had nothing to do with a candy bar that today costs $1.49 which use to cost a nickel.
                OK, I looked at the title line and I now remember, I was thinking about the, “Light Bill”. If you are old enough, or a student of American history, you may remember when the electric bill was called the light bill.
                Why was it called the light bill, you asked? It was due to the fact that for most homes, the only thing that was powered by electric was the lights. There were no electric stove, furnaces, food processors, 4 TVs, computers and all the other devices that we now have that are all powered by electricity.  
                Think about this for a minute, unless the home owner was rich, there was no vacuum cleaner in the house. People used the broom to sweep the big things up in a pile, then they swept the pile into a dust pan. As a final attempt to clean, they used the dust mop to get the dust out of the house. 
                I remember the sun shining in through the window, (the window shade, which was attached at the top of the window, could be pulled down to cover the entire window) allowing some sun light into the room. This sun light not only provided light in the house, it also would show the amount of dust that was floating around in the air, after the broom and dust mop were used.
                *             *             *             *             *             *             *             *             *             *             *            
                Speaking of lights, I now have the proper amount of light in my so called office area. As I had afore mentioned, my old florescent light fixture had burned out and I had replaced it with a two light incandescent fixture. The two light incandescent fixture may have provided one third of the light that the old four foot florescent fixture did.
                The first time my grandson Alex walked in after the incandescent fixture had been installed, he commented, “papaw, your light is burning out, you need to get a new one”. It was obvious to me, Alex and everyone who had entered the room, there needed to be more light.
                I ordered a four foot fixture from my previous employer and with the help of my son David it was installed yesterday.
                I knew it, more questions!
Ok, I will explain why I needed help to install a simple four foot light fixture. I needed someone to hold the fixture up to the ceiling while I connected the wires and screwed the screws into the ceiling. Any more questions?
 
Yes I still have allergy symptoms! You asked about everything else, but you didn’t asked how I was doing (hurt feelings). The rain we had yesterday may have helped a little bit by cleaning the air somewhat.
Thinking about the rain yesterday, I was relaxing on the front porch, tablet in hand when it first started raining. The rain was a study but light rain. As I surveyed the neighborhood I noticed the street was wet but there was dry areas on the roof of the neighbor’s house. These dry areas were due to the tree limbs that now have a full complement of leaves sheltering his roof.
As I sat there listening to the old 60s channel on XM radio, I was aware of a sound coming from down the street, possibly at the end of the block. It was the sound of very heavy rain. As I listened, I could hear the heavy rain moving up the street. Then I could both hear and see the heavy rain coming. The rain enveloped the entire area, it was not a blowing rain, it was one of those straight down rains.
The heavy rain was short lived and within a few minutes we were back to the light steady rain. I then noticed that the neighbor’s roof no longer had dry spots on it.
I was enjoying the oldies music, as I sat there playing solitaire on the tablet, when I again heard the sound of heavy rain. This time the rain passed to the east of where I was, possibly a football field distance from me. I could both hear and see the rain and I found it interesting that the rain would be very heavy just 100 yards away while it was very light where I was. One would think the rain would be consistently heavy or light without such a distinct dividing line. 
 
I must stop now, as my spouse of 46 years has informed me, I will be allowed to go to town and procure a new filter for the refrigerator.
 
I am back now and I was lucky to first go on line to see who might have the filter that fits our refrigerator. The home center that we purchased the refrigerator from had the filter for $54.00. The other home center with the word Home in its name, had a package of two filters for $49.99, two for less than the price of one.
Filter installed, all is well at, “The Ford Homestead”.
 
Have a happy April day!
 
Don Ford
 

No comments: