Translate

Monday, November 4, 2013

Sleepless in Hewitt... 110413

               As the title indicated, I was not sleeping well last night. That is unusual for me as I usually fall asleep quickly and if awaken by some extraneous situation, I usually return to a sleep state quickly.
               Last night I was awake for too much of the night. Before you ask, I do not think the time change had anything to do with it.
               It may have been that I simply worked too hard yesterday.
You seem surprised that I may have worked yesterday.
Did you laugh when I stated I may have “worked too hard”? Do you find it difficult to imagine that I would work or overdo it?
After lunch yesterday I climbed on the roof and finished applying a double coat of paint to the trim and chimney.
I then, (without the aid of a nap) proceeded to use the string trimmer to edge the yard. I followed that process by mowing the front yard using the walk behind mower and the back yard with the rider.
I would like it to be known that I did not get a nap anytime during the day yesterday and being off my normal schedule may have caused the sleeplessness last night.
Different subject:
I have messed up my computer due to deleting some files. I thought I needed some extra room so I began to remove files that (in my opinion) were not needed. It was going well until I began to delete a Windows (101) file.
I was informed later that what I though was a duplicate file, was actually a “shadow file”. In other words, not two separate files located in two places but one file that was being viewed in two places. Attempting to delete from what I thought was a duplicate file was actually deleting the main file.
Some of what I deleted went into the recycle bin (I should always do that) but some files I permanently deleted (not a good move).
Things stopped working so I tried to fix the problem. I reinstalled what I could form the recycle bin and eventually got the Windows (101) back. Windows is the operating system and (101) I believe is the number of files in the system.
Still things were not working. I, being a, “Know-it-all” decide to restore the system to a previous point in time. Guess what, I had evidently permanently deleted the restore points.
The computer started to down load and install important updates, 12 to be exact. Each time the system attempted to update it showed that the process failed. Each time I turn the system on it attempts to update and fails.
At one point I stated the computer in a safe mode and now it appears every time I start the unit it is in a safe mode. My tool bars and screen are no longer what I am use to.
It seems as if I can still down load files but when I try to use it I get the message, “XX has stopped working”.
Eventually I will get the problem fixed but for now I will continue working on my poor crippled computer. If I weren’t on a fixed income I could take it somewhere for repair or just purchase a new one.
Donations may be sent to, “The Ford Foundation, Repair Don’s PC”.
 
I hope you do not permanently delete any vital files today.
 
Don Ford

No comments: