Translate

Thursday, November 21, 2013

A Rose of a Different Color 11.21.13

               Yes I stated, “A Rose of a Different Color”. I understand that the usual statement is, “A Horse of a Different Color”, but we do not yet have horses at the Ford Homestead of Hewitt.

               I have considered the possibility of having a horse or two but when I consider the extra cost associated with equine and the fact that I am on a fixed income, I decided to pass on the horse and stay with less expensive attractions such as flowers.

This morning I had the task of preparing the Bougainvillea crop for their winterization. This process includes cutting the limbs back to a length that is equal to the size of the pot they are planted in and then placing them under a protective cover.

               The assistant grounds keeper did not work with me due to the thorns on the Bougainvillea limbs and I wore gloves in an effort to protect my delicate hands.

Above is how the area appeared at the start of the work.

In the above photo one can see the flowers under the tarp. I will need to get some clear plastic to cover the entire frame which will help keep the cold away from the flowers and yet allow sunlight in during the day.

               The title of this article, “A Rose of a Different Color” has nothing to do with the Bougainvillea photos so I will try to get back on subject.

               When I was preparing to start the above work I noticed a Rose which I thought was very pretty. The photo below is of a multiple colored rose which I have described as, “A Rose of a Different Color”. The rose is pink on the outside and evolves to a yellow to orange color in the center. Yes it was raining and I did work in the rain.

If you have a prettier rose, send me a photo.

 

Have a colorful and dry day.

 

Don Ford

 

No comments: