Translate

Thursday, November 14, 2013

A project to keep me busy 11.11.13 continued

 
            Continuing with this narrative, I went to Home Depot and purchased one ½ wood dowel and two 1X2s. I went to the local Ace Hardware Store to get 4 bolts. I would have liked to gone to the Do it Best store but it is on the other side of town and being on a fixed income I need to save as much as I can on gas.
            Speaking of gas, I purchased gas at the Wal-Mart station for $2.79 the other day. I never thought I would consider gas at less than $3.00 as a good price.
When I was a teenager, many years ago, gas was .30 cents per gallon in town and .25 cents at the cheap station just outside of town.
I remember when gas prices were still below a dollar I stated, “if gas goes to $1.00 a gallon I will quit driving”. I didn’t quit driving.
Now I have a question, what happened to the “cent” symbol? We still use the dollar symbol “$” but the cent symbol seems to have vanished. Is it because many people do not have common cents (sense) now days?
I digress; I have now spent almost $10.00 for wood and bolts to make these legs. I couldn’t find plastic washers so I made my own out of an old Starbucks gift card. To explain before that one person asks; the plastic washer is placed between two pieces of wood as a spacer and to allow for free movement between the two wooden legs. 
Being on a fixed income I can’t afford nice power tools like a power sander. I have manually rounded off the corners of the 1X2s that will be used for the folding legs with an old wood rasp. My poor old hands are tired from the work. (Donations will be accepted for power tools)
I find it interesting how a simple project like this can have so many little details. I try to do each thing in the proper order hoping that I will not need to go back and re-due anything. I look at it as if it were a puzzle and I am attempting to get all the pieces in the right shape before I attempt to put them together.
*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          
I received a question from the first posting which asked, “Were you looking at the checker board when the young lady with the short shirt and boots walked past, causing you to associate legs with the checker board?”
My answer to that question is, “how could a pair of nicely polished brown leather boots with a small yellow Texas Rose embroidery on the upper portion of the boot, a nicely pressed, very short, light blue denim skirt”, cause anyone to think about table legs. That is just silly.
Another reader noted that I had used the wrong word. I mistakenly wrote “Cracker Barrow” when I wanted to write “Cracker Barrel”.
In response; “my computer is still broken and the program that would read back to me want I have written no longer works. When something is read to me I can usually hear the words that are in error and correct them but when I re-read what I have written I often read what I think I have written and not what is actually there. “
*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *                 
In the following photo you will see all the pieces to the project laid out ready for assembly. I have each piece ready to attach. Some of the pieces will be attached using wood glue and screws while some are attached with bolts and nuts. When it is all together I plan to paint the unpainted wood white, hopefully matching the white checker board.  
  
            After the above photo was taken I did put all the parts together to assure myself that each piece properly fit. I found some minor sanding was needed which will allow easier movement of the legs. There is one piece that was left out of the photo (an error on my part, and you are correct I do not usually admit my errors) a metal bar that is 11 inches long which keeps the legs attached to the checker board. I will try to get a photo of the bar when the unit is complete.
 
I hope you have a rewarding day with delightful surprises
Don Ford

No comments: